Re: How does Pi get its t

-=> Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote to The Natural Philosopher <=-

AAS> CP/M did not have a heirachial directory system. The CP/M AAS> filesystem was single level with user IDs and drives being the only AAS> separations, user IDs were not visible and a little strange by modern AAS> standards - there were only 15 of them with 0 being everyone.

AAS> CP/M filenames were like A:THING.COM - no slashes in any AAS> direction.

Later versions of CP/M did have a hierarchial directory structure. But I need to do some research to see if they added that before or after MS-DOS came out.

The first version of MS-DOS did NOT support sub-directories.

... Kinky: Using A Feather. Sick: Using The Whole Chicken ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Reply to
Ron Lauzon

I'd like to see details - the CP/M-86 filesystem on the ACT Sirius I used didn't have one.

IIRC they came into MS-DOS along with hard disc support in 2.0.

Heirarchial filesystems go back a *long* way, there are papers from the late 1950s but Multics is generally considered to have had the first full blown version.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Blimey. Multics. I haven't heard that name for a long time. I had fond memories of using it at university in the early 1980s. I started out doing physics before changing after a year to elec eng. But I retained the Multics logon that the physics course had given me, so I used to go to the computer room in the late evening to learn about what the OS offered and what the various plotters and printers were capable of. Why the late evening? Well everyone was allocated a quota of logon time which was (in my case) pretty minimal, but chargeable hours ended at (I think) 9 PM and all logon time until the following morning was unlimited. It was amazing how many sad nerds there were waiting in the computer room until the clock (metaphorically) struck 9.

When I started in my first job in 1986, our department had Unix (BSD, I think) servers and I remember noticing a lot of similarities with Multics, though I can't remember what those similarities were.

Reply to
NY