where to get replacement PS2 mouse, or cables

Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? URL?

note someone recommended doing this in software with any type mouse, but am not allowed to touch the system, only replace the hardware.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I thought I was good at finding parts; alas I am having a difficult time finding the CCFLs out of a SANYO DP42848. I have 3 bad ones. They measure

36 3/4" long by 1/8" diameter. I would have thought this an easy find. I hate to throw away a set for a light bulb. Those of you that can tell me where to get them in the UK or India; thanks but I am in the U.S.
Reply to
Rick

me

easure

=A0I

me

I still need the mice and/or cables.

but, good luck with that CCFL

I've got a black Thinkpad too, got wet. Jeff Lieberman, best resource

Reply to
Robert Macy

I thought I was good at finding parts; alas I am having a difficult time finding the CCFLs out of a SANYO DP42848. I have 3 bad ones. They measure

36 3/4" long by 1/8" diameter. I would have thought this an easy find. I hate to throw away a set for a light bulb. Those of you that can tell me where to get them in the UK or India; thanks but I am in the U.S.
Reply to
Rick

All Thinkpads are black.

If it was just fairly clean water, just stand it on end (so the water drips off the motherboard) and let it dry for a few days. In this hot weather, it shouldn't take long. However, if it was something like soda pop, soup, or filthy water, you'll probably have to take it apart, wash everything with clean water (and a little alcohol), blow mostly dry with compressed air, and let dry for a few daze.

Google for "how to fix a wet laptop". Plenty of good (and lousy) ideas.

As for a replacement mouse, there are two types, PS/2 and USB. Go to your nearest Best Buy, Radio Shack, Fry's, or department store. Even the local pharamacy sells replacement mice. Avoid mice with a ball and get one that's optical. Wireless if you like spending money on batteries every few months. A USB mouse usually comes with an adapter so that it can be used with a PS/2 port. It's fairly difficult to find a brand new PS/2 mouse, so use the adapter. Photo of the adapter:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

thanks, did not know about availability everywhere now.

uh, there is NO USB driver installed on THIS Win98 system and not allowed to install new SW that may ,,,, up already existing stuff.

just need a bunch of cables and/or that scrolly/thumb switch type mouse. I put black eletrical tape over the scroll to disable it. Everytime got down to viewing something on the internet, the scroll would do something and then blank screen wait and wait to see what was there BEFORE the scroll action took it away!

Only stores available around here are Safeway, Walgreens, Walmart.and CVS

Fry's grocery a LONG way away.

Reply to
Robert Macy

No, you don't need a USB port.

The actual data sent to and from the mouse is the same for both USB and PS/2.

Most USB mice (mouses?) use a chipset that detects if it is plugged into a low speed serial port (PS/2 mouse port), or a high speed serial port (USB) and works properly with it.

Those mice are often sold with a small plastic adaptor that has a USB socket on one end and a PS/2 plug on the other. The adaptor is strickly electrical, all the conversion is done in the mouse.

I was very plesantly surprised when a USB keyboard and mouse set I bought at Office Depot, when plugged into USB to PS/2 adaptors I already had worked perfectly. YMMV.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
Reply to

ket

al,

ked

Thanks for the tidbit! Office Depot?! Forgot, we have one close by.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Most likely the US suppliers only rebadge Chinese products.

If you haven't already tried ebay...........

Reply to
Ian Field

You do not need a USB driver. A USB mouse, with the adapter, looks to your computah like a PS/2 mouse.

See your local recycler or thrift shop for dead mice and cannibalized parts. I probably have what you need if you're desperate.

Black tape is reserved for covering up the flashing 12:00 on VCR's and DVD players. Please do not misuse black tape.

Are you running Vista?

All except Safeway should have mice. I know the others have overpriced mice. If you really live in such an electronics deprived area, I suggest exploring the benfits of online buying from eBay, Amazon, Tiger Direct, NewEgg, etc.

How about a USB liquid mouse?

I have several. The kids really like them.

Then, there's the antique Prohance Mouse, which unfortunately comes in Serial only. No PS/2 or USB. Still if you have a spare serial port, it might be kinda cool (if you can find a driver):

Then, there's the telephone mouse:

I also have several of those. If you saw the Star Trek IV, where Scotty tries to talk into the mouse on a Mac, you know where the idea came from.

Not the market. The computah store.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

One mouse, two mice. One house, two hice?

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You may have hair and dust in the scrollwheel. I've cleaned a lot of them. You don't say where you're located, but I see lots of them at flea markets & thrift stores. Try Freecycle.org & Craigslist.com, if you have local groups. I usually have the L/R pushbutton switches fail, instead of the cable.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"I hate meeses to pieces!"

-- Mr Jinx

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

ccflwarehouse?

Reply to
who where

I thought that only applied to rodents.

I have heard (and read) both.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

I've always used mice for both but the consensus seems to that either is acceptable:

So, if I have a pair of dice, is one of them a douse?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Any of these suitable?

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Not Ebay or these guys tried them first.

Reply to
Rick

Many "USB" mice are also usable with PS/2 using an adapter. I have several Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical mice that are like that. They are relatively cheap, and very durable. No thumb button, though. With the Intellimouse software, you can possibly set it so that clicking the wheel calls the magnifier?

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

If you can figure out the exact spot where the break in the cable is, find = someone who is good at cable splicing and has the proper tools. He can spli= ce out the bad section. Also, if You can find some high quality 6 conductor= cable of a similar type, you can have the technician splice in a new piece= .=20

Using PS2 with Win98 is very old unsupported systems. There are no updates = for security or performance improvements. You are at the time where a new s= ystem is required.=20

Reply to
Jerry G.