Does such a device exust?

Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

ROKU Soundbridge M1000

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

How about using an old PC ?

Reply to
flipper

Check out this:

It ouputs 2-channel audio over regular analog RCA jacks or digital audio (optically and over coax). It uses a PC as a "server" from which it can pull audio files directly (your ripped CDs or downloaded music), or it can stream audio from various Internet "radio stations" (some free, some not). The PC acting as a server is controled through a web page interface, accessible from any machine in the house. The little handheld "remote" is actually a complete mini-computer that just accesses the server using a regular WiFi access point -- it can be used to control the "black box" receiver (or multiple receivers, if you have them)... or used as a complete "Walkman"-style standalone receiver on its own (it had a headset jack on it)! You can get just the receiver itself (~$150) if you aren't interested in the remote (web-based control only in that case), and you can also get "boombox"-style receivers if you don't want use your existing home stereo.

The overall package works quite well -- the quality of the software is definitely several notches above average these days; Logitech just licenses the product from some guys who really do seem to be the "old school" hacker types in that they're cranking out quite reliable software that has more features that you'd imagine (or probably ever use :-) ). Setting it up initially is not the easiest thing in the world -- and unfortunately the included documentation is a bit sparse -- but it's not too bad either and there's lots of help available if needed.

Try typing "internet radio" into Amazon and check out the results (most don't have web interfaces, though).

Do you already have a home "server" PC? If so a Squeezebox is a natural additon... if not, well, it's not quite so clear-cut...

---Joel

P.S. -- A Squeezebox will pass the WAF test once you get it up and running. If your wife can use an iPod, she'll have no problem with a Squeezebox.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It looks like I can just plug it into my network??

If so, that's perfect for me, because all I want is web radio.

...Jim Thompson

Yes (the receiver has an Ethernet port on the back, if you get the version with te remote control, the remote uses WiFi). But you still need a PC around to install the server software to provide the web interface -- the little receiver box contains the DACs, some hardware MP3, etc., but only enough intelligence to stream audio from the server PC (i.e., not enough ot provide a web interface itself or pull audio straight off the web).

I've never used one, but those Roku boxes someone else mentioned always had good reviews as well -- I almost purchased one last year. For what you're after, it might be better in that it doesn't require a server PC.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

IIRC, there was a streaming audio receiver project in a recent Circuit Cellar issue. The UI was rather crude, involving passing a URL to the receiver via a USB port. But once configured, the device would work stand-alone on a broadband connection.

Not nearly as fancy as the Logitec unit, but a good project for a h/w-s/w hacker.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

I have Noxon, two RCAs at the back and wlan (I think also wired network connector). Works well.

TheM

Sure is, they are generally called Internet Radio's:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Is exust the past tense of exist?

Reply to
Richard Henry

This is nice, thanks

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Yes, dope. There are 100,000 channels available.

It's called Microsoft Media Player.

Choose> Media Guide. Then> Internet Radio. Then>

Search for your desired station OR just find what you like to hear.

RadioIO has 60 channels. '60s '70s '80s Jazz Classical, etc.

Reply to
Bart!

"I shut a big log the other day."

Bwuahahahahahahah!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Refer to...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Re: Does such a device exust? - JERK.png Message-ID:

Two stage filter, NewsProxy inserts label "JERK", then Agent v5 kills on Subject line beginning with "JERK".

White-listing prior to IP check for any individuals unfortunate enough to live in his area.

AlwaysWrong is truly a JERK... and ignorant beyond all comprehension.

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

I never ignore stupidity that is as blatant as your is, Jimmy.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Kiwi speak?

Reply to
K Ludger

Out your nose ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Another "solution", which I suspect can't be made to work...

Two sources of audio, can one be directed to speakers and the other to line-out?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

It could work very well. If by "two sources" you mean two sound cards. The app, e.g., Windows Media Player, allows you to choose the "Device" to use. So you could have WMP doing internet radio on one card & other PC sound going to the default. Really cheap option.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Can a browser, choosing a website with streaming audio, such as Fox News ;-) direct that signal to a line output, and not to the normal speaker outputs?

...Jim Thompson