Raspberry Pi utility/program to find its external IP address

I prefer common sense.

You remind me of the person who asked 'why don't they stress airliners to 10g?'

The answer being that the pilots have already passed out at 5g.

Back in the day one of my engineers went to do a security check on a company who had just installed a firewall.

They asked him 'what is the most serious threat you found?' The answer 'all the auto answer modems connected to staff computers so they can access them from home, and the list of passwords pinned behind the receptionist where any visitor can see it'

Deal with the really likely threats, first.

--
?But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!?

Mary Wollstonecraft
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you leave your front door open because your valuables are stored in a safe?

when it comes to internet security your router is your front door, if that is not secure you are exposing everything else to risk (The Auto answer modems & Passwords lists are the equivalent of leaving the bathroom window open).

--
When God endowed human beings with brains, He did not intend to guarantee
them.

NO, I leave it open because there is no crime here and I have no valuables. And its lockdown

Straw man alert! Straw man alert!

Er no, they are the front door. The router is in fact a trapdoor to a blind cellar with one drain leading out of it.

I see you didn't read Kettlewell's piece.

--
?It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on

If wampoon was a firewall under my control, it would drop all inbound packets on its external interface with a source or destination address within the RFC1918 ranges.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So drop all spoofed packets arriving at the external interface.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yep that's one of the very early clauses in any decent firewall.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

I cant see why any NAT router wouldn't do that anyway.

--
?when things get difficult you just have to lie?
Reply to

It should of course and I suspect nearly all do (I don't use off the shelf routers so I don't know). I think the whole point of this sideline is that NAT is not enough you need filtering too and any sane router configuration will do both. It is important to understand this if you plan to mess with router configuration.