Raspberry Pi 3 - Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, 64-bit, 1.2GHz

The official launch:

They now recommend a 2.5A power supply, but haven't heatsinked (heatsunk?) the CPU. Still, on-board wifi will be nice. Use the money saved on a wifi module for a heatsink if necessary. Moore's Law may still apply in Pi-land. :)

Reply to
Hils

The power does not go to the CPU.

Reply to
Rob

A fair bit. See cpu temperature and current draw graphs at

A. Dumas

That site confirms what I wrote...

Reply to
Rob

Office 2016 is to be forced down the throats of all users where I work. Office2013 didn't seem to add to Office2010 and now a metric ton of stuff that is not obviously better will be pushed to my laptop and probably will leave junk all over the SSD. :-(

LibreOffice, on the other hand, just gets better. The move LO 5.0 made LO Calc & Writer better dealing with docx and xlsx files but the LO PowerPoint app (name escapes me) was not so good. Since updating to LO

5.1, ppt, pptx files are handled excellently.

I have ditched MS Office on my personal Windows machines and have LO on them and Linux machines now. Doesn't matter if I'm using Win or Linux, LO is the same on both. It's certainly blossomed in recent times, I may even install on the work laptop and use it to annoy the Office2016 people.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Reply to
A. Dumas

But still, it confirms that most of the 2.5A does not go to the CPU. You can always stick a small cooler to the CPU when you like. (they have always been available as optional item even for the original Pi)

Reply to
Rob

They say the rPi is open source which it is not.

--

Rick
Reply to

Oh, I'm sure that's still not necessary. (Pimoroni said the chip will

tests, but 82 does sound a bit low for throttling.)

Reply to
A. Dumas

Does anyone have current consumption figures for the pi3 (no connected devices) (1) idle, and (2) with all four cores running? Can the bluetooth and wifi be disabled to save significant power (and the graphics for that matter)?

I've looked at putting freebsd on my pi - but no pre-built packages are available, and the time to build them on an old pi B is prohibitive! I'm guessing the pi3 would be a much better bet.... any experience out there please?

--
Mike Scott (unet2  [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

All I saw was the Pimoroni blog, link above.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes, I looked at that, thanks. I was rather assuming they'd have a keyboard and mouse connected for the tests (and included in the measured current); but maybe they didn't. My interest is in possibly replacing a headless server running 24/7 at home - I don't need wifi, bluetooth or graphics, so being able to disable these would be a plus.

--
Mike Scott (unet2  [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Reply to
Mike Scott

I think they did, yes.

5 V at 2 A = 10 W. In a year: 87.6 kWh. Price here is high, about 0.22 ?/kWh. Cost/year: ?19.27. More realistic current draw is half that, so under ?10 per year. Free savings are free! But the effect might not be very big.
Reply to
A. Dumas

Published today, in German:

Power draw including the adapter

- at maximum load: Pi3 = 4.7 W, Pi2 = 3 W

- idle: both 2 W (BT/Wifi on Pi3 not disabled but also not active, I guess) Temperature "more than 80 degrees Celsius at sustained max load" (I wonder if they thought of disabling throttling, or whether that is even possible for the Pi3)

Reply to
A. Dumas

What do they mean with Soft-off?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Haun

sudo poweroff (or halt, or shutdown -h, that's the same on the rpi). There is no hard-off, other than actually pulling the plug.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Ah ok, thanks.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Haun

eir

It may throttle back considerably (under 100MHz), which isn't very helpful if you are doing something that needs the power. So if you find yourself regularly running over 80C, get some active cooling.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Windows 10 *does*

--
Cheers,
Chris.

Regarding the temperature, it does seem that is going to be a bit of an issue. Tech writer Gareth Halfacree has done some thermal imaging.

He says:

"The new BCM2837 system-on-chip gets far, far hotter than its predecessors. This image was taken using a calibrated Flir thermal camera while the Pi 3 had been at 100% CPU load - but no GPU load - for

temperature with a K-type contact probe, and also by poking the chip.

"Don't poke the chip. It hurts.

"I'd recommend picking up a small heatsink for the Pi 3, the first Pi that I'd actually say is worth doing so, and if you're reusing an existing case keep an eye on the temperature - you may need to make a cut-out to increase the ventilation, especially if you're using an enclosed slice-style case like the original-design Pimoroni PiBow (which has been modified with a heatsink cut-out specifically for the Pi 3.)

"Oh, and don't trust the built-in thermal sensor: when that picture was

temperatures."

Reply to
Dave Farrance