Raspberry Pi wifi dongle

I have RuneAudio on a raspberry P13 with a wifi dongle, so that I can control what to play using the RuneAudio app on my tablet.It has worked pretty well for a couple of months now. but these last few days my tablet cannot connect to the Pi3 via the wifi dongle.

The wifi signal here is pretty good as I get something like 48db in a downstairs room, and the signal on the tablet is excellent. My question is, does the said dongle give up the ghost after a certain time or what else could it be.

Is there a better wifi dongle than the 'official one'

Reply to
RobH

what is wrong with the built in wifi of the Pi3?

--
You can write a small letter to Grandma in the filename.
		-- Forbes Burkowski, CS, University of Washington

Well when the Pi3 is next to my laptop in wireless mode, it cannot connect to the Pi3. So I guess something is not quiet right.

Reply to
RobH

surely they both connect to your router? or are you trying to use the Pi as a Wifi hotspot?

more information on your actual network set up (router make & model, are you using 5 ghz or 2.5 ghz wifi on the laptop etc.) could help in steering you in the right direction

--
QOTD:
	"It's hard to tell whether he has an ace up his sleeve or if

I have a Pi ZeroW here. It runs as a Wifi access point in its current setup. I can see the AP name on all my laptops, phones and tablets. But, if you try to connect it it with something that is only a few cms to

30cms away, then it will not work. Move about 1m or more and it's fine giving 65mbps connection speeds. I'm assuming the front end RF stages in Wifi chips are getting overloaded and going very non-linear.
Reply to
mm0fmf

No, when it was working ok before the Pi3 was downstairs and router is upstairs, and the Pi3 was connected by wirelsse to a tablet. Wifi was working between the 2 just fine. Now it isn't, yet my tablet will play music from other apps by wireless without any problems.

Now when my tablet couldn't connect to the RuneAudio on the Pi3 , I disconnected the Pi3 and reconnected it when it was upstairs next to my laptop and just left the wireless dongle in it. There was no connection between the 2, but if I connect the pi3 by a cable in the same room as the router it does connect just fine.

But that is not how I want it, as it should play music just the same as it did before, but can't as there is no connection between the 2 t

The router is a TP-Link AC1750 and I am using 2.5Ghz wireless

Reply to
RobH

I'm not sure I know wh.at you are meaning as there was no problem before these last few days

Reply to
RobH

Is the pi2 running host services to allow that?

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pi3 you mean, no I have no idea what host services it is running as RuneAudio is an image which is burned onto a 4gb micro sd card, and that is all that is on it.

Reply to
RobH

wifi is not peer to peer. Yu have effective masters and clients. If you dont have master software running on the pi nothing will 'connect to it'

What you need to install or of it is intsalled I do not know.

let them."
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry, I don't know what you mean! All I know is that it used to work ok but now it doesn't.

Reply to
RobH

I think there is some confusion.

Your tablet does not talk directly to the Pi over wifi, so putting the two devices closer together will not help.

The tablet connects over wifi to your router. The Pi connects over wifi to your router. The application (RuneAudio) then uses a network protocol (TCP/IP) over the wifi network to communicate between the Pi and the tablet, through the router.

None of which actually fixes your problem.

You say you can connect the Pi to the router using a cable. If you do that, can you use the tablet to check the RuneAudio configuration, check the Pi wifi is still set up for the correct SSID etc? This may help you debug whether you have a problem with the wifi dongle.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

you

'

WiFi supports both infrastructure and adhoc modes, so both client/access

point and peer to peer.

---druck

Reply to
druck

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:44:01 +0000) it happened druck wrote in :

It is always difficult to answer the OP question without more info, much better he should read the linux [wireless] networking howto. There are some simple commands you can enter in a terminal as root to find out about your network status, like iwconfig (and ifconfig of course), and iwlist scanning to see what clients, if any, it sees.

May take some time, but guessing takes much longer...

Also if it suddenly stops working: anybody else close by on that channel? Now I am guessing myself ;-( Change channel?

I had an old pi with a wifi adaptor as access point. After things got hacked everything is wired here. Can always plug it back in if needed. For music local short distance use bluetooth works fine. Even then I use an ebay bluetooth transmitter that takes audio in... No setup and can be used on any audio output. Anyways all the high power WiFi is not good for you, do not want it next to my head. I know it is big business, but so are opiods and other drugs.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks, and I see what you meant now about the distance between the Pi and the tablet.

The Pi wifi is set to the correct SSID, and the wifi signal is pretty good throughout the house as I have a powered wifi adapter attached to the landing ceiling. When I open RuneAudio on the tablet, it can connect to the Pi as long as the Pi is connected by cable. That means I am now going to run a cable downstairs from my router, to the Pi. This is because the speaker I use has to be connected to the Pi by a phono lead, and if it isn't then there is no sound on the speaker, even tho' RuneAudio is actually playing a track etc.

Reply to
RobH

I use ifconfig to find the devices ip addresses, but when the Pi3 is not hardwired, wifi does not work, and even typing the ip address in a web browser fails.

Reply to
RobH

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Mar 2018 13:46:04 +0000) it happened RobH wrote in :

Yes, maybe my approach is different I usually ssh -Y PI_IP_ADDRESS from a PC on the LAN (wired), and can then do anything I like with the pi and its WiFi. Then it is easy to check if the dongle (or on board Wifi) is working or not. Or connect it to a keyboard an HDMI monitor, same thing.

So if you, using wired connection, ssh to it from some PC, then what does wlconfig show?

panteltje12: ~# ssh -Y pi@192.168.178.73 pi@192.168.178.73's password: Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding. Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l Last login: Sat Mar 17 20:44:19 2018 from panteltje12 root@raspberrypi:~# iwconfig lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

root@raspberrypi:~# uptime 16:05:50 up 5 days, 8:55, 10 users, load average: 2.97, 2.93, 2.84

its easy mm 2013, been a long time, thing is on 24/7 Reliable things those raspberries.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Dig into the settings on your wifi adaptor and see if it is set to prevent attached stations (pi, tablet, ...) from seeing each other, the option goes by a variety of names but is quite commonly set by default since few people run servers and it blocks a lot of peer-peer attacks.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

wlconfig doesn't show anything:

root@runeaudio(rw):~# wlconfig

-bash: wlconfig: command not found root@runeaudio(rw):~#

As I have said in other posts on this subject, RuneAudio is an image which is written to a 4gb micro sd card, and there is nothing else on it at all.

Reply to
RobH

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:12:51 +0000) it happened RobH wrote in :

OK, then I have no idea, not very practicaa that the standard tools are not there, a quick google for 'RuneAudio configuration' finds among many other links:

Jan Panteltje