Skybuck's Price Advice for Microsoft's Surface Tablet !

Hello,

I like Microsoft's Surface Tablet, especially the RT version. I am not sure yet if I am going to buy it, because maybe I don't really need it, but I might still want one as a backup computer, which I could simply store in my closet or something. So I do think I need it to be save computer-wise.

I also want the Microsoft Surface Tablet Software Market to be successfull, so the device has a longer life time sort of.

The device will have to compete with iPads and Transformer Primes and other kinds of devices which look like it, which run iOS or Android or something... and Microsoft has Windows 8 RT... which is also interesting.

I also hope Delphi or Free Pascal will someday support Windows RT so I myself might be able to create some software for it if I really want to.

The biggest new thing is probably the Windows/Application Store which seems to be an awesome idea/oppertunity for both Microsoft and Third Party Software Developers. I am not yet sure about cracks and other ways to run free or illegal software that reminds to be seen.

For now the biggest concern for Microsoft is to get the tablet market working. It's a little baby, and the focus should be on growing it.

The price should be just right. Yeah. That's difficult to achieve.

Too cheap and too much shortage and maybe it might look bad, like it's a shitty device or something, which it's probably/hopefully not.

Too expensive and too little sold and kills the market.

I will definetly not buy it if it's 800 euros.

I will definetly not buy it if it's 600 euros.

I will definetly not buy if if it's 500 euros, though I start thinking about it.

At 400 euro's it starts to get a little bit interesting, but still a bit much.

For 300 euro's I start to consider it.

At 200 euro's it's an instant buy.

At 250 euro's it's still a bit price.

So 225 euros seems just right, maybe I can spent 25 euros on extras like a cover or whatever.

So my conclusion:

Maybe it's best if the surface tablet gets sold under product costs... just to make sure that many of them are sold... and that the market starts to grow...

Maybe later newer tablets can be a bit more expensive.

This device will first have to prove itself. I am not yet sure if I am gonna like it, so there is no way I am going to spent a fortune on it ! ;) P*

So there ya go guys, Let me know what you wanna pay for a surface tablet if you considering to buy one. Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

That's crazy talk. If you have $$$ to spend, send 'em to me and I'll actually put them to use...maybe buy some beer.

A BACKUP computer is a fantasy for most. I happen to have two identically configured computers with plugin drives. I can swap the drives and windows can't tell the difference. That's a BACKUP computer. Anything less is a "bluescreen of death". The data on your main disk is what you need to work.

A SPARE computer can be a $1 garage sale laptop in the closet. Much more cost effective.

Never buy version 1 of anything, or an even numbered release of anything M$. Think windows ME or VISTA or 8. M$ is trying to pull a rabbit out of their...er...hat to get back into the mobile market. Unlikely that version 1 will be what survives.

snip

Wait for version 2. "you don't really need it"

Reply to
mike

it,

I don't think it should be used as a backup computer. If you really want = a=20 tablet device, you should use it as such. I have been using an = inexpensive=20 laptop as my main computer for a couple of years now, and it's really = all I=20 need. I also have an Archos 7 Internet Tablet which I bought for $300 a = year=20 ago, and I've only used it occasionally. My main reason for the purchase = was=20 to use it as a remote display and keyboard interface to some electronic = test=20 equipment. And that's still a possibility. But my idea was to design the = GUI=20 as an HTML web page, so it could work on any portable device from a = phone to=20 a laptop and even a full size desktop PC or MAC. That way it's OS=20 independent.

[snip]

[snip]

That sounds like a reasonable price point (about $275), which is about = what=20 I paid for the Archos 7. But I don't use it as a computer and I couldn't = get=20 the hang of developing apps on the Android platform. I'd be interested=20 because I could have the option of developing apps and porting them from = my=20 Windows environment, so that would be a plus.

What I think might be a cool device is a Windows based pocket phone, = with=20 true USB host capability and WiFi or other wireless connectivity along = with=20 its phone and camera functions. Maybe even add a headset with sound and=20 microphone and a visual display built into lightweight glasses, and some =

fingertip touchpad devices with wireless connection to the device. Now = for=20 THAT I might spend up to $1000 if it was really good!

Paul

P E Schoen

snip

I've spent a lot of effort over the years trying to do remote stuff. I keep coming back to leaving the app on the PC and using wireless/VNC to get the remote capability. Greatly simplifies things.

Reply to
mike

Get a google tablet - I have one and it's great. [But not as great as the one they will be releasing after the Apple 7" and before Xmas]

--
Dirk

Full Spectrum Praxis : ZERO STATE : http://zerostate.net
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On my iPad I have a nice SSH terminal, and I have an RDP app too.

I can link up to a box running Linux with the SSH terminal app, and I can get a remote desktop on which to run things on a Windows 7 box with the RDP app. Both full resolution. Very nice tools.

I also have a few more nice engineering apps too.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan