Questions abour RPi 4B

As I mentioned in another post you may need to do a rpi-update in order to install the additional files for the Raspberry Pi 4, which weren't present when you created the card for the 3B+

---druck

Reply to
druck

Ah! Right!

I thought it was too good to be true that I could use the same disk image in both a Pi 3B+ and a Pi4, without there being *some* caveats. I was expecting to have to start from scratch, and was surprised at the confident messages of "you can use a 3B card in a 4". The proviso (a very big proviso) being that the 3B's disk image has been upgraded to Buster. I'm always cautious about upgrading an OS (Unix or Windows) from one version to another (Stretch/Buster or Win7/Win10) on a live system, because there's always something that goes wrong or some performance hit where the upgraded system is slower than the install-from-scratch one.

Not a problem. I've got the Pi 4 set up almost as the 3B+ was (thank goodness for the customisation notes that I made when I was setting up the Pi 3),

Is a later update to Rasbian Buster based on the final release (RC + bug fixes), or will Raspian Buster always have any deficiencies that were in the RC but were corrected in the FR of Debian?

Reply to
NY

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 20:35:05 +0100, "NY" declaimed the following:

So far as I know, all the later ones are based on final Debian -- given that they released images on 2019-06-24 (the RC based image; if I recall the release date for R-Pi 4) and 2019-07-12 (just 2.5 weeks later, and just after Debian made formal release of Buster). Believe the last time I ran apt update/apt upgrade they updated to Debian 10.5.

Granted, that doesn't explain why they also released versions on

2020-02-07 and 2020-02-14 (the last under the "Raspbian" name) -- just one week apart. Under "RaspiOS" the releases so far have been 2020-05-28 and 2020-08-24

"""

2019-06-20: * Based on Debian Buster * Support for Raspberry Pi 4 hardware
  • Raspberry Pi 4 video output options added to Raspberry Pi Configuration
  • IDLE Python IDE removed * Wolfram Mathematica removed temporarily due to incompatibility with Buster """ """
2019-09-26: * rpi-eeprom included - This will automatically update the SPI EEPROM on the Raspberry Pi 4 to the latest stable version. See
for more information.
  • Version 3.2 of Thonny added
  • Version 12.0.1 of Mathematica added (full image only) * Version 0.20.8 of NodeRED added (full image only) * Version 3.1.0 of Sonic Pi added (full image only) * Scratch 3 added (full image only) """
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Ok, I'll try. Right now I have a 3B+ running Buster from a USB hard disk. It was updated from Stretch on the fly using apt full-upgrade (or something of the sort, don't remember the exact syntax). Seems to work fine, apart from a Gnome foot where the raspberry icon belongs in the top-left menu bar.

When updates are run using apt or apt-get I see eeprom updates in the list of files downloaded. Far as I know, eeprom stuff is specific to the Pi4, so does that mean the disk is ready to boot a Pi4?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska