Dead Pi 4B

Hi,

Looks like my Pi 4B died, red light only, no green flashes with no SD Card, 5V and 3.3V ok, tried eeprom recovery to no avail. Any ideas before I try to get it returned, as it was only bought in May.

It was all working fine until I took off the Fanshim and put it in a new case with a 40mm fan, and it didn't come back up again.

I finally gave up on the Fanshim, it was a great idea works well and I liked the software so much I contributed a few enhancements, but it is let down by the 30mm fan. Pimoroni were great replacing them free of charge, but my third one has just started to go noisy, and shortly after they go erratic and fail completely. I've tried running them continuously, or intermittently by they only last a few months.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Its a bit odd that swapping case and fan on a working board would kill it, so:

- Does the Pi come up if you switch back to the original case and fan?

- I assume you've looked for debris/shorts etc in the new case, but have you taken a multimeter to the new fan unit to look for wiring and/or soldering errors? If not, that's probably worth doing.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

SD

Or even go further back to basics, check the board over for extraneous "bits", put in a known working, bootable ,SD card, place on on something clean and non-conductive and apply power does it come up? As judged by the flashing of the lights. I don't think a Pi4

*needs* a fan for just a minute or two.

The only Pi I've killed was the result of accidentally putting +5 on a GPIO line. Boot problems occasionaly but reseating the card normally cures that on.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had a pi4 doing a fairly major software build with the compiler using all

4 cores for about 15 minutes - no fan. No prob.
--
W J G
Reply to

Yep.

Tried that.

Yes, tried just the bare board too.

I'd been using the fanshim for almost a year on my first Pi 4B, on which I recently found the 2nd HDMI didn't work, where as the new on fired on both ports, so decided to swap their intended roles. I got a large passive heatsink case for the first one, and put the fanshim on the new one, where its been working since May.

I had to put a very fine coating of solder on a couple of pins to get the fanshim to work reliably on it's 2nd Pi, which literally took a second to remove with an iron when I took off the fanshim, so I can't believe that killed it. I used a magnifier to check there were no whiskers, no solder had got under the shim.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Did you try a different power supply?

- j -

-- Mail address is valid for a limited time only.

Joerg Walther

Yes, both the official one from other Pi 4B and a USB-C phone charger. in all cases the 5V and 3V3 were as expected.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Have you tried a different card with a fresh install on it?

--
W J G
Reply to

Yes I've got a fresh Buster card for the very purpose of diagnosing wrongness. The card which was in it still works in the 3B+ I'm currently using as backup.

Thanks for your help, but I've come to the conclusion; it's dead Jim.

----druck

Reply to
druck

Perhaps you have damaged something while mounting it into the new case - a magnifying glass can help.

Reply to
Deloptes

Hello druck!

Wednesday August 19 2020 18:25, you wrote to Folderol:

Return it as it has to be under warranty.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

I bought it from Pimoroni, who give great service. I've got the return printed and just need to get it boxed and to the post office.

They've have said they'll refund and I can buy an 8GB instead (I got the

4GB just days before the new one was announced), only trouble is the 8GB is out of stock at the moment :(

---druck

Reply to
druck

The only thing you might not have tried is to put the three eeprom recovery files on a freshly formatted SD and then start up with eveything possible unplugged. If you get some green lights you can start replugging stuff (hdmi won't work straight off - you knew that.) and reboot with your regular OS.

If no green then, I agree, it's dead.

Hth, cheerio,

--
>> derek.moody@casterbridge.net
Reply to
Derek.Moody

Thanks, but tried that, and no lights.

It's back with Pimoroni, I don't know if the refund has gone through as it was bought on my wife's card, but my new 8GB 4B arrived today.

---druck

Reply to
druck