GPU support on Raspberry Pi OS

Just did an upgrade on my Pi3b+, and the "experimental GL driver"
seems to be a bit faster than default. It also fixes the upside down
maps problem in Chromium.
Unfortunately, it locks up solid when the machine is left idle. The
red light is on, but the green light doesn't blink. Ctrl-alt-f2 does
nothing. The only recourse seems to be power cycling. If anybody knows
a fix, please post it.
More generally, what is the state of GPU support on the Pi? A couple
years ago it sounded as if Eric Anholt would write an open source
driver.
AIUI, the GPU is a second processor with its own vector-oriented
instruction set. Seems like one has the choice of writing assembler
for the GPU, or writing a code generator for the back end of an
existing compiler and then writing high-level (probably c) routines
that compile into a kernel module.....I'm no programmer, so just
guessing here.
If anybody can shed light or pointers to further reading please do!
bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska
You could try switching the CPU governor policy from the default "ondemand" to "performance", so that it doesn't drop the clock speed when under low load:
echo -n performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Other settings are documented here:

This isn't something I've tried myself, I don't even have a Pi3, but it seems a logical place to start.
The GPU plays a big role in the boot process (at least on the BCM2835 Pis), so some docs describing the boot process in detail may go into how GPU code works.
--