Printing from Pi

Following on from my previous mails on this subject I think I am making progress but!. My brother laser printer is listed on the Pi when using cups but I cannot print a test page. It is plugged into the technicolor router I get the message "printer URI is incorrect or no longer exists".

I think it requires the ip address to be entered into the system somewhere.

The cannon printer which is plugged into a USB port on the windows7 PC is not seen at all.

Can anyone give guidance.

Malcolm Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

So is your printer a network-capable one? If so, you should switch the printer to dhcp. Then you should fix the name of that printer at your dhcp-server, e. g. router. Let?s say it?s called cannon.local ? now you should be able to enter cannon.local as printer and print to that.

If you?d do that on a Mac machine, you would have to set this plugged

is, how does Windows spread the attached printer? Apple uses bonjour (I think). B. Alabay

--
http://www.thetrial.de/
???????????????

Den torsdagen den 26:e juni 2014 kl. 09:00:16 UTC+2 skrev Ba?ar Alabay :

SMB/CIFS

use Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers right click on the printer choose 'Printer Properties' Tab 'Sharing' checkbox 'Share this printer'

Reply to
Bj?rn Lundin

some Brother printers need a special driver, you may need to compile it from source or install it on an intel-based machine running cups

cups now uses "Bonjour" to auto-detect printers,

you need to share it on the windows machine and possibly install samba and possibly do some workgroup or domain configuration stuff

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon avahi-utils

Reply to
A. Dumas

The printer is a Brother HL2250DN so is a network printer.

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

In message

Thanks I have done this and it has not helped

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Where would I find Bonjour?

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

I have done this and now been able to print the test page. Hurray

Thanks Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

So you have to attach it to the network, configure the IP address (DHCP e. g.) and it should work. Of course you have to add the printer, after you?ve set all up, to cups (or is there an autofind? I don?t remember).

B. Alabay

--
http://www.thetrial.de/
???????????????

Den fredagen den 27:e juni 2014 kl. 23:13:39 UTC+2 skrev T M Smith:

It's been several years since I did this, but from cups web interface, you should be able to point out the canon printer as something like

smb://computername/printerqueuename

when you add a new printer. A prerequisite is that the printer is shared as described above

If not, well, then I have no clue.

Reply to
Björn Lundin

It appears to have found it automatically.

Malcolm Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Following this success I have attempted to print a file. I have entered the details in a class named laser. On entering lp /home/pi/pwm3.py at the command line I get:-

request id is laser-9(1 file(s))

But nothing else happens. Does this imply the file is been sent into the ether or what?

Malcolm Smith

--
T M Smith
Using an Iyonix and RISC OS 5.20 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

lpq shows print status

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bonjour is the name Apple gave to the service. It's also called Zeroconf or Avahi (in linux).

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

Typing "bonjour" in the Synaptic quick filter returns "Avahi Apple Bonjour compatibility library" as the first result. I find this an efficient method of searching packages by description, if I'm not sure what software I can use to perform a particular task.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Unfortunately, apt is not very helpful if you didn't already know that avahi = bonjour:

$ apt-cache search bonjour finch - text-based multi-protocol instant messaging client libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev - Development headers for the Avahi Apple Bonjour compatibility library libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 - Avahi Apple Bonjour compatibility library libnatpmp-dev - portable and fully compliant implementation of NAT-PMP (dev files) libnatpmp1 - portable and fully compliant implementation of NAT-PMP libnet-bonjour-perl - Perl module for DNS service discovery libnss-mdns - NSS module for Multicast DNS name resolution libpurple0 - multi-protocol instant messaging library libroot-net-bonjour-dev - Zeroconf extension for ROOT libroot-net-bonjour5.34 - Zeroconf extension for ROOT - run-time libraries mdns-scan - Scan for mDNS/DNS-SD services published on the local network natpmp-utils - portable and fully compliant implementation of NAT-PMP (userland tool) pidgin - graphical multi-protocol instant messaging client for X

Reply to
A. Dumas

That seems to me a pretty good indication that Avahi = Bonjour. And the first two Google hits if you search for Avahi Bonjour are the Wikipedia pages "Avahi (software)" and "Zero-configuration networking".

Reply to
Rob Morley

Maybe. But the packages you need are avahi-daemon and avahi-utils, which are not listed in the bonjour search, would take another avahi search.

Sure. That's two steps ahead, though: Google instead of apt and "avahi bonjour" instead of just bonjour.

Reply to
A. Dumas

That's simple enough, isn't it? Run apt-cache search avahi, from the results pick avahi-utils, run apt-cache depends avahi-utils and you're pretty much there.

I wouldn't expect to find everything I needed to know in the first place that I looked. At the start of the process I'm not all that sure what I'm looking for anyway. Although I started with synaptic, which is somewhat easier to browse than apt, and you apparently chose the latter because it's not so good for the casual user.

Reply to
Rob Morley