rpi4 kernel btrfs/configs

normally btrfs and configs (/proc/config.gz) are built as modules.
Iwant to have / on a btrfs, if I change both from M to * (builtin), no modules are built,
but there's no /proc/config.gz an a btrfs partition is a "unknown filesystem".
Any idea why these are not working, when compiled into the kernel ?
regards
-rasp
Reply to
Ralph Spitzner
/proc is not on your storage, it's a virtual filesystem provided by the kernel.
# mount -t procfs proc /proc
will mount it, assuming you have an empty directory at /proc. Perhaps your root volume doesn't have that directory?
Theo
Reply to
Theo
Theo wrote on 3/25/21 12:26 AM:
sorry. but /proc itself is fine... the question was: why does the config access and btrfs work as modules, but noy when built _into_ the kernel
-rasp
Reply to
Ralph Spitzner
Just a guess: the built-in file system starts up before the /proc filesystem is mounted.
You should return to a module and set it up into the initrd.
--

-TV
Reply to
Tauno Voipio wrote on 3/27/21 5:13 PM:
Still doesn't explain why the exact same options are working on a x85-64 system
on my laptop (t430) I'm using slackwares Kernel, which has almost everything compiled in, there's no initrd, there root (/) is on a btrfs and /proc is fine. So I'm guessing I may miss some 'helper' / glue option in the kernel config to make this work as builtin ... (I don't like initrds as I tend to forget to update them :-) )
-rasp
Reply to
Ralph Spitzner