rpi4 kernel btrfs/configs

normally btrfs and configs (/proc/config.gz) are built as modules. Iwant to have / on a btrfs, if I change both from M to * (builtin), no modules are built, but there's no /proc/config.gz an a btrfs partition is a "unknown filesystem". Any idea why these are not working, when compiled into the kernel ?

regards -rasp

Reply to
Ralph Spitzner

/proc is not on your storage, it's a virtual filesystem provided by the kernel.

# mount -t procfs proc /proc

will mount it, assuming you have an empty directory at /proc. Perhaps your root volume doesn't have that directory?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Theo wrote on 3/25/21 12:26 AM:

sorry. but /proc itself is fine... the question was: why does the config access and btrfs work as modules, but noy when built _into_ the kernel

-rasp

Reply to
Ralph Spitzner

Just a guess: the built-in file system starts up before the /proc filesystem is mounted.

You should return to a module and set it up into the initrd.

--

-TV
Reply to

Tauno Voipio wrote on 3/27/21 5:13 PM:

Still doesn't explain why the exact same options are working on a x85-64 system

on my laptop (t430) I'm using slackwares Kernel, which has almost everything compiled in, there's no initrd, there root (/) is on a btrfs and /proc is fine. So I'm guessing I may miss some 'helper' / glue option in the kernel config to make this work as builtin ... (I don't like initrds as I tend to forget to update them :-) )

-rasp

Reply to
Ralph Spitzner