question about Agent

I just installed Agent v 1.91 on my new Win7 PC. (I prefer 1.91 to the newer versions.)

On my old XP machine, when I click "get new headers in selected group" it's really fast. On the new one, it takes tens of seconds and the progress bar creeps along. That must be some setting, but I can't find it. Anybody know?

Try turning off the antivirus software on the new machine. It can make email, Usenet or Internet downloads so sluggish that it leads itself ad absurdum.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Removing the AV software was one of the first things I did!

I'm still getting used to Win7, and trying to make it look as much like XP as possible.

None of my old DOS programs work any more. I guess I'll have to get a DOS emulator, or edit/recompile them using the PBCC (32-bit PowerBasic) compiler.

Agent v7.20/32.1218 is marvelous, but not for the inept >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Let me guess.... Win 7 64 bit? Lots of things break running under 64 bit Windoze 7.

Reactionary. Of course, I did the same thing, so I can't really be too critical.

You can make Win 7, 8, and 10 look something like XP with Classic Shell: I would post a screen dump of what it looks like, but my Windoze 7 machine is currently getting an OS transplant to Windoze 10.

All of my DOS based Motorola radio programming software won't run on a

64 bit machine. Same with dBase III/IV, Clipper, RM COBOL, and other vintage programs.

If you have Win7 Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise, you can install XP Mode: There's also Windoze Virtual PC, VMware, Virtual Box, etc.

Much easier is one of the DOS game environments, such as DOSbox: If it works, be sure to look at the many front end menu programs: DOSbox has also forked into various mutations. So far, I've had the best luck with DOSbox SVN DAUM at: More builds:

One thing I haven't been able to deal with is network printing from Win 7 or 8 64 bit to a network print server. It's not the print server because I've tried every network printer and server that I could find without any luck. There was only one critical customer that had to print from DOS, so I just ran a parallel cable to the printer and ignored the problem.

Yawn... 2.7GB to download for Win 10 and I'm only half way through. At this rate, it will be ready to install at midnight. Sigh.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I was majorly disappointed in Win 7. The transition to a new XP machine used to take a Saturday morning. One. Afterwards everything worked. The transition to Win 7 took more than a week. Afterwards a lot of stuff refuses to work, the router-connected printer is dead in the water, and so on. It's the pits. XP was much better in quality, way better.

You can right-click on an executable, then click "compatibility" and set it to a really old OS. Sometimes that makes stuff work. Sometimes it doesn't. With Windows 7 much is hit and miss.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 17:18:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

DOSBox

Simple. From within Widows or Linux.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 16:06:40 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

You can "compact" the database, and make the files access quicker.

Usually it is the ISP connection to the NSP that does it, and the size of your in-house archive. It has to read that to see what messages you already have the headers for.

I have the same problem. I lost my old (newer version)(the one with a hundred nyms) of agent one day, and this older release here is a dog on new message header retrieval.

I think it may be a setting. Out of order" this and that or something. The port number... something. I'm not sure and I never toyed to find out. I just wait and then read.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Did you disable IPV6?

You can right click onthe program and select properties and you can run it in XP compatibilty mode.

And Check the number of connections in Agent, should be in the server setup dialog. Mine is set to 10 (Agent 5.00)

Martin Riddle

Y'er a bit quick on the trigger. If you continue reading my posting, you'll find that I covered DOSbox in detail. How's your luck with running 16 bit DOS programs in DOSbox in a 64 bit environment? I had no problems with 32 bit XP, Vista, and Win 7, but the 64 bit versions didn't work for me.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

We hired a guy to buy and set up our new Dells and servers, so he at least got the basics working, browsers and Office and the network drives and printers, PDF things, Crimson Editor, LT Spice, Irfanview. I took over and did my engineering stuff, so it wasn't awful. Three days part time, and I'm using it most of the time.

I did have to stumble around some to get the overall look-and-feel back to what I was used to. It wasn't nearly as awful as I expected.

I just copied the Mozilla and Thunderbird folders (into "roaming" and everything came up, mail settings and browser appearance and addons and bookmarks. That was impressive.

Once I get it all nice, he will image clone it to my two other new PCs, for home and the cabin.

So far Win7 looks pretty good. Every five years or so, you've gotta move on.

32-bit PowerBasic executables work fine. Old stuff like Appcad and Filterpro work too.

In five years or so, I guess I'll have to use Win10. Or maybe not.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Running 16-bit DOS stuff (WordPerfect 5.1+, Freelance 4.0) fine in Dosbox 0.63 on Win7 and CentOS 6 Linux, both 64-bit. Version 0.64 doesn't work well on my systems.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 08:08:12 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

They are up to like 0..72 or such now. You should investigate further.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 19:38:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

In Windows, or under 64 bit Linux?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 22:09:42 -0400, Martin Riddle Gave us:

My pipes are fast, so I only set it to two or three. No need for more in nearly any case. That is not where the bottleneck lies.

It is in the return data link for the polling that takes place to determine what you already have.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And Y'er a bit slow on the reading comprehension.

Reply to
JW

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 09:48:46 -0400, JW Gave us:

He said 64 bit environment, you putz. That likely does not mean across the board.

Your critique behavior is immature. No surprise.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"I had no problems with 32 bit XP, Vista, and Win 7, but the 64 bit versions didn't work for me."

Yawn.

Reply to
JW

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:33:12 -0400, JW Gave us:

Nothing but more retarded, childish baby bullshit from the retarded childish bullshit baby JW. Sniptard too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Windows 8 was configured for maximum privacy. Now compare this to the

basically a clumsy, 3GB keylogger."