New Raspbian OS out

Here are details

I wish they'd kept the brand name "Raspbian" (which hints at the Debian origin) rather than changing to the cumbersome "Raspberry Pi OS".

Reply to
NY

Well I won't be using it. Pulse Audio is the killer for me. I build stand-alone soft synths with a Pi4 and for that I need Jack and Alsa. Added to that, just around the corner is pipewire, which is designed to replace/integrate with all three, and retains sample accurate performance.

--
W J G
Reply to

Probably want to tilt the branding in their favor and not allude to the fact that it's really a tweaked Debian base. Of course, by the time Debian 11/11.1 comes out, we should very likely be able to throw generic Debian 11 on it as an alternative to Raspberry PI OS. As fun as the Pi is, there's just not enough distro variety for it and having more exposure, I would think, would interest more users and developers to play with and improve it.

Reply to
TCW

When I simply update my headless server it still says Raspbian?!

lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Raspbian Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) Release: 10 Codename: buster

B. Alabay

Reply to
BaÅŸar Alabay

The more things change, the more they stay the same apparently.

Reply to
TCW