rca 31" tv

It's about 10 yrs old, and I know its time is up.

But a few years ago I coated the flyback xformer with gasket maker and had it working since, and since i'm a cheap mofo, maybe it can last a little longer with your help.

Yesterday the picture suddenly got somewhat 'zoomed in'. There is also a slight pincushion effect. The amount of zoom might be about 1.5x, enough to be annoying.

Any idea where I should look?

Thanks!

Reply to
whence

Yes change the Blue or Grey box caps in and around the HOT. That's if its got them as you have not given Model or Chassis Number so we are guessing.

kip

Reply to
kip

Oops sorry,

model: F31226ES chassis: CTC169AU

how many caps are we talkin about? And by 'around the hot' are you talkin about the real dangerous ones (if not properly discharged) around where the cord connects?

Reply to
whence

Reply to
Art

Reply to
kip

If you don't know what the HOT is then you have no business messing around inside your TV.

Reply to
tom hunt

HOT Horizontal Output Transistor .

Number

You don`t make sence. Why would he need to rebuild the smps ? All he most likely need to do is replace the blue caps and the diode near the Horizontal output like the other fellows was talking about. Thats if the flyback is good. He said he put sometype of goop on it at one point in time and what was the reason for doing so ? This flyback could also be his problem. So please let us know why was the reason for coatinng the flyback ?

Reply to
tvguy

Makes perfect sense if you service the 169 chassis regularly. Anyone who does should know to test the caps on the regulator controller and the coupling cap to the chopper, as well as about a dozen other caps throughout the set. They are common enough failures that someone who does not have the right equipment to test them should just replace them if it has never been done before.

Depending on the version, one should also inspect carefully for the "chocolate drop" problem, check the caps in the audio amp, check caps in the PIP module, and check for CRT coolant leakage and coolant contamination.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

well its pretty obvious that you have not repaired many 169,s.

kip

Reply to
kip

I have been doing electronics for the last 30 years. I have not seen where the smps had caused his type of problem Unless there was something I have missed reading in his post. I still would say we need to know what was wrong with this flyback first before we start saying other things worng with his set. We need to know why he had put goop on it. This maybe his only cause of his problem at this point.

Reply to
tvguy

Thanks for your helpful responses folks.

The reason I coated the flyback: I started to hear some clicking, smelled some ozone at the back of the set. Then one day a loud pop and the set turned off and keeping it on was difficult for any length of time. I guessed that the flyback was discharging by arcing to something and read (online) that if you coat it with automotive gasket maker and let it setup, it should stop the arcing, which it did.

So as for discharging dangerous caps, do I need to just short them with a 1MW resistor? Where is the HOT located?

Just some info should I decide to accept this mission.

Thanks again.

Reply to
whence

It may have nothing to do with his problem, but any tech who works on the ctc169 chassis should know that these caps are a problem waiting to happen and if they test high in ESR should be changed. It would be poor service not to give the set a thorough evaluation before suggesting a fix. If he does not have the equipment to test them, he should at least change the two caps on the smps controller IC, which are the source of more failures on these sets than any other.

Some shops don't look for potential problems waiting to happen. We feel that a complete estimate includes checking the stuff that tend to cause other problems.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I may agree with you but this guy is doing his own home repair. Everyone is telling this guy that don`t even know what a horizontal output is or even knows where it`s located at to go ahead and change caps in the smp`s. All you guys are doing by telling him these things is going to make his set even more worse than it is. It is much easier for him without making other damage to his set is to just change these couple little parts by the HOT and that should cure his problem. Once he starts in the powersupply and makes a mistake it will be hard to trck down what had happened. So I would suggest if you all want him to start working on the smp`s is to take the set in to his nearest repairshop and have them fix it before the set ends up being trashed.

We all know how much of a pain that these 169 chassis are to fix. So I would suggest this guy to take this set to the repairshop to have it done before he finds he`s got himself into more problems by listening to all you guys telling him to work somewheres that could cause him more problems and end up costing him more money in the long run.

happen

service

If he

the two

failures on

feel

cause

seen

Reply to
tvguy

CTC169 A Pain to fix.!!!!..I dont think so. You have to know what your doing.

Reply to
kip

HOT is located near the flyback . Its a nickle sized black square of sorts mounted standing up against a metal bracket or heat sink it has 3 wires sticking out the bottom .

Good luck fixing it . I hope you find the capacitors . They may have location numbers on the board under the part for someone to list to make your work easier .

Reply to
Ken G.

Guys, I love xxx169 chassis for CRT & projector, real money maker and reliable to repair.

Yes, replace all 4 caps in power supply, pincushion (bowed picture) problem tend to be two parts (C4402 box cap & CR4402 diode marked on circuit board as C402 & CR402, don't forget the tiny ferrite bead when putting new diode back in), if small transistor off the pincushion coil is bad, replace it as well (2N2222 works as a sub).

I know about those melted chocolate (used to be a rubber feet domes). Eeeewww! Tercious stuff to clean. :)

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Then your one of the lucky ones.

Reply to
tvguy

The 169's smps will cause overvoltage to the HV\Sweep circuits, and any quality repair must include addressing these problems. Good technicians know this. Most of the people who responded to the OP are professionals. Either fix it right, or don't fix it.

tvguy wrote:

The 169??? No harder to repair than any other premium chassis. This is an excellent design that runs perfectly when properly repaired. We still sell these used (both DV and PTV) and they all get a full 1 year warranty. They never come back.

John

Reply to
John-Del

I think they are generally easy to fix if you cover all the common stuff. Sure, you get a dog every now and then, but in what sets do you not? Easy fixes, mostly, and tons of tips in several places online and in the various databases.

If you think these are tough to fix you have not learned much in your thirty years.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet