New BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS

That's the thing. I haven't had any of the gloom and doom that a lot of people predicted for the shift to systemd *except* that it can be extremely confusing for me to figure out how to configure the small number of things that I want to customize.

Trying to change the time in the morning that cron.daily (weekly, monthly) runs was an absolute pig, and I found the documentation about where to put the customization file tricky to follow.

--
A firm rule must be imposed upon our nation before it destroys
itself. The United States needs some theology and geometry, some taste

There seem to be a number of people who are strongly against it, but it's not been an issue here.

For scheduled stuff I simply use "crontab -e" (IIRC) and it seems to work, but that's for boot-time and daily tasks. No customisation file required - as far as I know.

--
Cheers,
David

Oh! "sleep" still works.

--
Cheers,
David

How is changing the time in /etc/crontab difficult?

--
Chris Elvidge
England

That doesn't change the time of day when the system-provided scripts in /etc/cron.daily/ (etc.) are run.

--
I was born, lucky me, in a land that I love.
Though I'm poor, I am free.

That's the easy way that used to work.

When anacron was moved to systemd, changing it involved attempting a bunch of things (at one day intervals) and writing down what finally worked for me:

  1. copy /etc/systemd/system/anacron.timer to /etc/systemd/system 2. edit /etc/systemd/system/anacron.timer to change "07..23:30" to "03..23:30"
  2. delete the symlink from /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/anacron.timer to /lib/systemd/system/anacron.timer 4. replace that symlink with one to /etc/systemd/system/anacron.timer
--
I love you like sin, but I won't be your pigeon
Reply to

Er, my "about a second" was from me simply glancing at two devices. I'm sure the actual accuracy is the same as for reference ntp, because it runs this:

A. Dumas

Er, my "about a second" was from me simply glancing at two devices. I'm sure the actual accuracy is the same as for reference ntp, because it runs this:

A. Dumas

Both present: systemd-timesyncd.service enabled but dead systemd-timedated.service enabled but dead

I remember installing ntpd when I first got the RPi - its still there, still running and within a second or so of the T440 I'm writing this on.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

They may have been disabled when you installed ntpd, or never enabled when ntpd was detected? That seems sane/logical, anyway. No need to have two time sync daemons running simultaneously.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Unlikely: ntpd was on the RPi and running long before systemd arrived on it. Its far more likely that those services crawled onto the machine when systemd first slung in through the door and, because I never needed to use them they've just sat there - unless, of course:

- timesyncd bursts into life when the RPi is booted, does its thing and dies when its all in sync

- timedated has simply never been started

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

That's what I meant by never enabled: you already had ntpd, then got systemd, so maybe it knew: ntpd is running, this means we can't enable our sntp version. That's how I'd like it to react, anyway.

Reply to
A. Dumas

That's an awful way to use the NTP protocol! Using SNTP has many disadvantages and I wouldn't touch it except as a very last resort.

I wrote a few notes about this, although referring to SNTP on Windows:

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Reply to
David Taylor

Op 20-7-2021 om 20:51 schreef NY:

I did not wrote the first sentence, it was Op 14-3-2021 om 9:49 schreef Unsteadyken:

But Unsteadyken is right. Today every "line" has it's own delay time.

Years ago there was an important football match at a warm day when everybody had their doors open. And you could hear the delay times when there was a goal... First you hear the analogue viewers (ether and cable), they have hardly a delay time. Then you hear the analogue satellite viewers, they have a quarter to a half second delay. Then you hear the digital cable and ether viewers, they had a little more delay. And when all those have stopped yelling and took a beer, you hear the internet TV viewers, they have a few seconds delay and that delay time differs for each connection. It can even be 20 seconds or more.

Therefor it has no use to send the pips at the exact top of the hour. If you listen to internet radio, it is probably 5 to 30 seconds later when you hear the pips.

By the way, nowadays there are no analogue viewers anymore here. All analogue TV has been switched off.

Rink

Reply to
Rink