UBUNTU Server without Network?

Maybe my question does not fit here.

I tried UBUNTU Server 64 Bit to build an intranet server. It starts without Network-Tools (f. e. ifconfig). I am associated to install sudo apt-get net-tools - okay, but without any network?

How can one build a server without any network?

FW

Reply to
F. W.

One can't. I bet it includes 'ip' as an alternative to ifconfig, try: 'ip a'.

Reply to
A. Dumas

By downloading the entire ubuntu repository onto a disk?

Where did you get the installation code to start with? How are you posting here without Internet?

Or is the question how do you bootstrap onto the network from a bare install?

The answer is to edit the config files, assuming you have ethernet or wifi hardware.

or use - as others suggest - the ip command

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ubuntu is far too leading-edge for convenient server use. I'd try the base distribution, Debian instead.

The repositories are far too large to load entirely to a local store for most users. There are over 100000 packages in the Ubuntu repository.

--

-TV
Reply to

What would be the point of such an exercise? A server with no network connection isn't going to have much to do.

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

It has intranet, just no internet. That's a sensible thing for an internal server.

As has been mentioned, the venerable 'ifconfig' tool is now deprecated - the current tool to use is 'ip' which is part of the iproute2 toolset:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I would recommend acquiring a full set of disks (CDs / DVDs) for the version of Ubuntu that you are working with. That will jump start a repository to install things.

Check the repos configuration file on the boot media. It will have a repository that is the installation media to use as an example.

I'd also recommend exploring a local repository mirror. Possibly no a notebook computer that can be taken elsewhere to be updated on occasion. Sneaker net things from the Internet into the intranet.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Network interfaces in Ubuntu 20.04 are configured in NetPlan YAML files, which are stored under /etc/netplan

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

He means without an internet connection. As has been said it will have the ip command for configuring network.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Dunno if it helps the OP, but...

For several years I've been running a home network organised these lines:

- my ADSL gateway box has been fairly carefully configured to accept NO incoming connections and to be invisible to external scanners. I regularly use external scanners to check that no ports are advertised to external networks. Gibson Research Labs are very useful for making these checks.

- this setup allows anything on the inside to connect out to the net, so web browsers, FTP clients, web browsers, Fedora's dnf updater, my RPi's apt updater etc. can all connect out to talk to external servers and my MTA can send outgoing mail to my ISP.

- I run getmail to retrieve mail and pass it to my local Postfix MTA for distribution within my LAN. This also works well because getmail only connects outward to my ISP's MTA to retrieve mail.

- All hosts on my MTA run firewalls, configured to reject connections on ports I don't use for communication within my LAN.

The only disadvantage of this arrangement is that incoming e-mail is delayed because the cron job that controls getmail fires it up at 10 minute intervals, but the only time I'm aware of this delay is when I'm testing anything where the 'incoming' messages being tested are sent by me and won't be retrieved until the next tie getmail is run.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

you could use IMAP or POP though.

Reply to
Deloptes

Do people still use CDs/DVDs?

Reply to
Pancho

Since I run a local Postfix MTA, if I was happy to poke holes in my external firewall the simplest solution would be to leave the SMTP port open.

But since, IMO, a few minutes delay in receiving mail is a price well worth paying for blocking all external connection requests. If the delay bothered me I'd have increased the cronjob launch rate from 6 times an hour to 12 times an hour.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Yes. Some people do still use CDs / DVDs.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Re: UBUNTU Server without Network? By: F. W. to All on Tue Mar 16 2021 08:30 am

For the record, you used to be able to purchase the Ubuntu and Debian repositories as a DVD collection from the Internet. You would then load the indexes in your package manager and install the softweare in a more or less automated way using the package managers and your DVDs.

You can replicate such deployment using a hard drive and installing a trivial repository there.

There was also a tool (whose name I don't remember) that was designed to be installed in a pen-drive. You would take your pen-drive to a computer with internet and tell the too installed in the pen drive that you wanted to install $whatever in an offline machine. The tool would download all the dependencies and packages and save them, so when you got back to your off-line computer, you had everything that was needed to perform your install. The tool was also smart and didn't download dependencies if it knew the off-line computer already had them installed.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
Reply to

Thank you!

FW

Reply to
F. W.

Am 12.03.2021 um 11:04 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:

Without Internet?

Rasperry Imager

I own seven computers...not just one ;-)

Yes, I did not know that "ip" is also possible...gave it just a try.

Thanx

FW

Reply to
F. W.

Am 12.03.2021 um 08:40 schrieb F. W.:

BTW: The network-port on the RBP 400 *does* work without any configuration. I placed my Pi 400 near the router and connected it with the Pi 400.

I use it with ssh from other PC. Works great. Even a "Norton Commander" ("Midnight Commander") is available. Feels like 1989. :-D Love that machine.

FW

Reply to
F. W.