UBUNTU Server without Network?

Maybe my question does not fit here.

I tried UBUNTU Server 64 Bit to build an intranet server. It starts
without Network-Tools (f. e. ifconfig). I am associated to install
sudo apt-get net-tools - okay, but without any network?

How can one build a server without any network?

FW

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

One can't. I bet it includes 'ip' as an alternative to ifconfig, try:
'ip a'.

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Thank you!

FW

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?
By downloading the entire ubuntu repository onto a disk?

Where did you get the installation code to start with?
How are you posting here without Internet?

Or is the question how do you bootstrap onto the network from a bare
install?

The answer is to edit the config files, assuming you have ethernet or
wifi hardware.

or use - as others suggest - the ip command

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Without Internet?

Rasperry Imager

I own seven computers...not just one ;-)

Yes, I did not know that "ip" is also possible...gave it just a try.

Thanx

FW

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?
  Re: Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?
  By: F. W. to All on Tue Mar 16 2021 08:30 am

 > Am 12.03.2021 um 11:04 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
 >
 > >> I tried UBUNTU Server 64 Bit to build an intranet server. It starts
 > >> without Network-Tools (f. e. ifconfig). I am associated to install
 > >> sudo apt-get net-tools - okay, but without any network?
 > >>
 > >> How can one build a server without any network?
 > >>
 > >> FW
 >
 > > By downloading the entire ubuntu repository onto a disk?
 >
 > Without Internet?
 >
 > > Where did you get the installation code to start with?
 >
 > Rasperry Imager
 >
 > > How are you posting here without Internet?
 >
 > I own seven computers...not just one ;-)
 >
 > > Or is the question how do you bootstrap onto the network from a bare
 > > install?
 >
 > Yes, I did not know that "ip" is also possible...gave it just a try.
 >
 > Thanx
 >
 > FW

For the record, you used to be able to purchase the Ubuntu and Debian
repositories as a DVD collection from the Internet. You
would then load the indexes in your package manager and install the softweare
in a more or less automated way using the package
managers and your DVDs.

You can replicate such deployment using a hard drive and installing a trivial
repository there.

There was also a tool (whose name I don't remember) that was designed to be
installed in a pen-drive. You would take your
pen-drive to a computer with internet and tell the too installed in the pen
drive that you wanted to install $whatever in an
offline machine. The tool would download all the dependencies and packages and
save them, so when you got back to your off-line
computer, you had everything that was needed to perform your install. The tool
was also smart and didn't download dependencies
if it knew the off-line computer already had them installed.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Ubuntu is far too leading-edge for convenient server use.
I'd try the base distribution, Debian instead.

The repositories are far too large to load entirely to
a local store for most users. There are over 100000
packages in the Ubuntu repository.

--

-TV

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

What would be the point of such an exercise?  A server with no network
connection isn't going to have much to do.

  _/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
 \_^_/                              >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

It has intranet, just no internet.  That's a sensible thing for an internal
server.

As has been mentioned, the venerable 'ifconfig' tool is now deprecated - the
current tool to use is 'ip' which is part of the iproute2 toolset:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iproute2

Theo

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

He means without an internet connection. As has been said it will have
the ip command for configuring network.

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Dunno if it helps the OP, but...

For several years I've been running a home network organised these lines:

- my ADSL gateway box has been fairly carefully configured to accept NO
  incoming connections and to be invisible to external scanners.
  I regularly use external scanners to check that no ports are
  advertised to external networks. Gibson Research Labs are very useful
  for making these checks.

- this setup allows anything on the inside to connect out to the net, so
  web browsers, FTP clients, web browsers, Fedora's dnf updater, my RPi's
  apt updater etc. can all connect out to talk to external servers and my
  MTA can send outgoing mail to my ISP.

- I run getmail to retrieve mail and pass it to my local Postfix MTA for
  distribution within my LAN. This also works well because getmail only
  connects outward to my ISP's MTA to retrieve mail.

- All hosts on my MTA run firewalls, configured to reject connections
  on ports I don't use for communication within my LAN.

The only disadvantage of this arrangement is that incoming e-mail is
delayed because the cron job that controls getmail fires it up at 10
minute intervals, but the only time I'm aware of this delay is when I'm
testing anything where the 'incoming' messages being tested are sent by
me and won't be retrieved until the next tie getmail is run.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

you could use IMAP or POP though.

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Since I run a local Postfix MTA, if I was happy to poke holes in my
external firewall the simplest solution would be to leave the SMTP port
open.

But since, IMO, a few minutes delay in receiving mail is a price well
worth paying for blocking all external connection requests. If the delay
bothered me I'd have increased the cronjob launch rate from 6 times an
hour to 12 times an hour.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

I would recommend acquiring a full set of disks (CDs / DVDs) for the
version of Ubuntu that you are working with.  That will jump start a
repository to install things.

Check the repos configuration file on the boot media.  It will have a
repository that is the installation media to use as an example.

I'd also recommend exploring a local repository mirror.  Possibly no a
notebook computer that can be taken elsewhere to be updated on occasion.
  Sneaker net things from the Internet into the intranet.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Do people still use CDs/DVDs?

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Yes.  Some people do still use CDs / DVDs.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

Network interfaces in Ubuntu 20.04 are configured in NetPlan YAML files,
which are stored under /etc/netplan

https://www.serverlab.ca/tutorials/linux/administration-linux/how-to-configure-networking-in-ubuntu-20-04-with-netplan/

--
Adrian C

Re: UBUNTU Server without Network?

BTW: The network-port on the RBP 400 *does* work without any
configuration. I placed my Pi 400 near the router and connected it with
the Pi 400.

I use it with ssh from other PC. Works great. Even a "Norton Commander"
("Midnight Commander") is available. Feels like 1989. :-D Love that machine.

FW

Site Timeline