Is the NG still active?

I see no posts for days

--
?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
Re: Is the NG still active?

So... you had to be off topic? Or you're just a natural philosopher...

Re: Is the NG still active?

| "it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
| (or environmental activism) is becoming a general ideology about humans,
| about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and
| the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a
| 'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,'
| a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for
| rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet
| things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that
| you live neither in Joseph Stalin's Communist era, nor in the Orwellian
| utopia of 1984."

   Did you really want a respose to this redneck
pseudo-intellectualism? Your "signature" is 10 lines
while your post is 1 line.

Re: Is the NG still active?

No.
Not from Liberal pseudo intellectuals.
Who can't spell 'response'

I have over 200 'signatures' randomly selected.
Some are quite short.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.

    There is an RFC that says you should keep them to four lines.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun

| > I have over 200 'signatures' randomly selected.
| > Some are quite short.
|
| There is an RFC that says you should keep them to four lines.

  That's an interesting decision. People rig their email
to insert completely irrelevant text, not even knowing
themselves what gets inserted, for no good reason,
and there are politeness rules about how to do that?!

  That's a bit like having signs that say, "If you're going to
shit on the sidewalk, please do it toward the edge."

  I tend to just think of anything below the message as
an ad and ignore it, but like ads in webpages, it does make
for a lot of unnecessary noise.

--
This post was not sent from an iPhone.

Be sure to miss Amazon Prime day!

Re: Is the NG still active?
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:52:13 -0400

    Guidelines really, and they've been published for a while (based on
much older informal conventions going back to 1979). Here they are:

    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

    It covers a lot more than just signatures.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Re: Is the NG still active?

Yes, you read it, or ignore it, enjoy it, or whatever.
It's just a sig. Unlike ads in web pages, its always in a predictable
place that you don't even have to scroll to.

And if your news client is in any way well specced, it never gets
repeated in followups.

I really don't see what the fuss is about. Dozens of sigs might irritate
me, but I don't feel so insecure as to have to  comment on them

--
?Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,?

  ? Ludwig von Mises

Re: Is the NG still active?

So... naturally... what you're saying is... every asshole has a sig...
(deduction)... therefore I should also have one?
Naturally...
Like in C++... classes... attributes... inheritance...
Ok... now we're on C++... then a little turn... and we're back to RPi!!!!
And a little question... should a news server have a switch to indicate
complete removal of signature for every post it accepts? If it does not, it
would be a great feature. Less spam in posts!

Re: Is the NG still active?
This newsgroup is obviously dead - this thread proves it!

Re: Is the NG still active?

But these four lines are definetly not enough to have e-mail-signatures
according to european laws (for business purposes).

m2c
--
microangelo
snipped-for-privacy@microangelo.priv.at

Re: Is the NG still active?

Hu? Complete legal contact information certainly fits easily. Page long
blurb like "if you recieved this in error we in no way agologize but
threaten you with Mafia squads unless you comply with silly requirements
we are in no way entitled to make." is entirely voluntary.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Is the NG still active?

...and anyway, who in their right mind or half out of it would use a
newsgroup for business purposes?

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Is the NG still active?

Really?

I dont talk about "blurb" as this 'if you recieved this in error ...'
has absolute no legal binding.

But I'm talking about information that is required by law.

For example Austrian law says that e-mail-signature MUST contain the
same information as business letters.
So e.g. legal address and contact information, commercial register
number and court, business register number and authority, VAT-ID,
members of executive board, members of supervisory board, if available
authorized signatory (in German Prokuristen).

And I didn't mention legal requirements according to GDPR/DSGVO so far.

I doubt this would fit into 4 lines.

best regards
--
microangelo
snipped-for-privacy@microangelo.priv.at

Re: Is the NG still active?

Yes, email if it contains binding contract information. But a Usenet
post? I'm pretty sure Impressum requirements for printed pamphlets
suffice.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Is the NG still active?

Sorry, I WAS talking about email in general.
And YES you ARE right, it's something very different in a newsgroup!

Perhaps also a misunderstanding, because I didn't exactly differentiate
between email and newsgroup.

best regards

--
microangelo
snipped-for-privacy@microangelo.priv.at

Re: Is the NG still active?

| But I'm talking about information that is required by law.
|
| For example Austrian law says that e-mail-signature MUST contain the
| same information as business letters.

   Very different thing. Usenet is anonymous chat. If you
choose to advertise your company that's usenet spam,
not legally required information. You're talking about
conducting official business via digital communication.

   My dentist sends me email I can't even read. It's
infested with script and web bugs, assuming that I'm
reading it via webmail. I'm reading it as plain text. If
there are identifying lines or disclaimers I'm not seeing
them. And they don't even know. They've subbed out
communication to a company specializing in dentists.
All they care about is that I fill out a form declaring I
still don't have coronavirus.

Re: Is the NG still active?
-=> Mayayana wrote to Juergen Bruckner <=-

 Ma>    Very different thing. Usenet is anonymous chat. If you
 Ma> choose to advertise your company that's usenet spam,
 Ma> not legally required information. You're talking about
 Ma> conducting official business via digital communication.

There'd be nothing stopping you from running a private NNTP server.
I've had the opportunity to set up standards-based collaboration a
couple of times - use NNTP as a collaboration tool with private
newsgroups, Jabber for chat, SMTP/IMAP/LDAP for mail and directory
services and you had a platform-agnostic collaboration suite on par
with on-prem exchange - long before anyone had heard of Teams or
Slack.

... Curious ideas wait for stranger times

Re: Is the NG still active?

At which point the RFC can get stuffed.
And there isn't much point in running a sig anyway

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Re: Is the NG still active?
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 09:46:00 +1300

    All true, but these days you need video conferencing with good
screen sharing capabilities