Etcher, Windows and networks

Just trying to install Raspbian on an SD card for my brand new Pi 3.

As per the instructions I am using Etcher.

It failed, and I thought that it was unable to unzip the archive because it was over 4GB. However I used 7Zip to unzip, and Etcher still reported that it was unable to access the image (which was on a network drive).

I've now copied it to a local hard drive (I try and keep everything I can on the file server) and it seems to be working.

Anyone any idea why Etcher can't flash from a network drive?

Cheers

Dave R

David

First thing, don't unzip it. Etcher doesn't care.

Could Etcher see it or did if fail > Just trying to install Raspbian on an SD card for my brand new Pi 3.

--

Knute Johnson
Reply to

First thing I didn't unzip it. I only tried that when Etcher failed to access the archive (although it could select it).

Sequence:

(1) Run Etcher against .zip file on the Z drive. Picked up by the GUI prior to run. Failed to access at start of run.

(2) Unzip archive using 7Zip onto the Z drive. Select. Run Etcher. Failed to access.

(3) Copy .img file from Z to local drive. Run Etcher. Select. Worked fine.

The only variation I haven't tried so far it to run Etcher on a local copy of the .zip archive. I now assume that it will probably work but have no real reason to test at the moment, although this would confirm that network access not the archive was the initial problem.

Cheers

Dave R

David

Does the directory name or file name have a percent sign, colon or semi-colon? That's the only thing I found in the GitHub bugs for Etcher.

--

Knute Johnson
Reply to

I'm fairly sure I flashed an SD card using Etcher in Windows 10 across a network last night. I remember it complained that UNC paths weren't supported but, once I'd mapped the UNC path to a drive letter, it worked fine.

--
-Toby
Toby Newman

Image in Z:\Software\Raspberry Pi\Raspbian\2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch

So unless the path name is too long......

Z:\Software\Raspberry Pi\Raspbian\2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch\2017-09-07- raspbian-stretch.img

Or the space is causing confusion (just noticed).

Cheers

Dave R

David

Op 6 Nov 2017 19:31:04 GMT schreef David:

Leaving the space in, and putting double quotes around the string given to the program should work.

groet Coos

Reply to
Coos Haak

It is a GUI so you select the file name by using a file browser.

Quotes would work on the command line.

Perhaps the software should quote the file name internally to cope?

Cheers

Dave R

David