Durn, BestBuy Raised Their Prices on EVO+ microSD

I searched around and the Samsung EVO+ 32 GB seemed to be the fastest SD card for the money with the rPi. Looking at a bunch of vendors I'll do business with BestBuy had the best price at $9.99 with free shipping. I thought I'd save the trouble of shipping and get it at the store, so I went in yesterday and damn if they hadn't raised their price to $15 overnight! I went back online and even the BestBuy ebay listing at $9.99 was gone. :P

I can find it for around $13 at other online vendors, but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the slow shipping from China. I guess I'm just pouting that I didn't get it for $10.

Any other good microSD for the rPi 2 and 3?

I'm also still watching MicroCenter for the rPi zero. I'd like to get at least one of them and I'm definitely not willing to pay for the "kits" to get one. The whole point is the low price, low power and small size so they can be used as embedded processors.

--

Rick
Reply to

I've had a generally good experience with SanDisk SD cards.

I use them in cameras and my glider's navigation system as well as with my RPi and haven't had any problems that I can recall.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Thanks for the advice. I am going for speed here and there is data showing the Samsung EVO+ to be near the top of the heap. I can get one online for a bit above the $10 price. I was just frustrated with the price rise from the time I saw it online and the time I got to the store. Makes you want to not use the brick and mortar stores at all.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 23:24:35 -0400, rickman declaimed the following:

Whereas I've seen one web page where the prior generation (a 16GB EVO - no +) ranked 4th in a sample of 5 cards. It may have had top speed for streaming single large files, but tended to fall behind once you got to small files and fragmentation, and writing vs reading...

Dennis Lee Bieber

The Samsung EVO is a good fast card for the RPi, and it fails gracefully by going read only, which is important as all cards will fail sooner or later when used day in day out for a local filing system.

The SanDisk Class 4 cards are really good, lower headline large transfer speeds which the RPi can't get near anyway, but stellar random I/O performance. Compared to a SanDisk class 10 it boots (random read heavy) in 2/3 time, and a large dist-update (random write heavy) is twice as fast.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Is that true of the SanDisk class 4 cards across the sizes?

--

Rick
Reply to

I can only speak for the 16GB ones I've bought, but from past experience I'd expect the 8GB to behave identically.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I was thinking more of the 32 GB cards. One thing I know about SD cards is that all brands are consistently inconsistent.

--

Rick
Reply to

Oh, yeah. I'm looking for a microSD card too. I've found review that I later realized were for the SD cards which may or may not be different.

--

Rick
Reply to

I use micro SD in all the Pi's now, even other older ones.

---druck

Reply to
druck

According to the guff with my dashcam (which uses MicroSD) we shouldn't be misled by higher numbers. Class 10 is not necessarily better. Class 4 happens to be what they recommend. Says not to use Class 10.

I also always buy SanDisk when I can.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Ethical? Energy: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg Telecoms: http://tjrh.eu/phone

Where does it say not to use class 10? What exactly is "guff"? Here giving someone guff means giving them a problem.

--

Rick
Reply to

In the instructions for my dashcam. It says use class 4, SanDisk if possible. It says don't use Class 10.

Well, here (75 miles from where the subject of this group was invented) guff is sometimes used as a colloquial synonym for "bumf". It's more office slang. It is also used instead of "fart" and "nonsense".

Sorry if my English is a bit too English. ;-)

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Ethical? Energy: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg Telecoms: http://tjrh.eu/phone
* Have a genuine & spam-proof address for Usenet http://www.invalid.org.uk/
* RISC OS downloads http://timil.com/riscos
Reply to
Tim Hill

How is a dash cam related to an rPi? Why would they have similar requirements?

The benchmarks I saw put the 32GB EVO plus near the top of the heap. It's not at much of a price premium and while Bestbuy had it on sale (well, it's *always* on sale, they just change the sale price one week to the next without mentioning how long any price will last) it was actually a good bargain too.

Everyplace has slang. Using it in an international conversation isn't conducive to being understood.

--

Rick
Reply to

Definitely = bumf(luff)

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 13:37:31 +0100, Tim Hill declaimed the following:

Strange -- streaming video is exactly what Class-10 is optimized to handle... Though maybe the dash-cam resolution is low enough to not require Class-10, so the typically cheaper costing cards are recommended.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Full HD.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Ethical? Energy: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg Telecoms: http://tjrh.eu/phone
* Have a genuine & spam-proof address for Usenet http://www.invalid.org.uk/
* RISC OS downloads http://timil.com/riscos
Reply to
Tim Hill
[Snip]

Who are Bestbuy?

This is an "international conversation [it] isn't conducive to being understood".

Plonk.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Ethical? Energy: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg Telecoms: http://tjrh.eu/phone
* Have a genuine & spam-proof address for Usenet http://www.invalid.org.uk/
* RISC OS downloads http://timil.com/riscos
Reply to
Tim Hill

Too stupid to use google?

Except by those who can't use a web browser..

Well exactly.

The Natural Philosopher

For SD cards, I usually get pricing info from Amazon & NewEgg, print it, and then go to the local BB store to get a competing price.

Reply to
Charlie