Does a basic Pi installation use dnsmasq or systemd.resolvd?

To avoid having to do a clean install myself does anyone know if an "out of the box" installation of Raspberry Pi OS uses dnsmasq or systemd.resolvd for DNS?

Reply to
Chris Green

My (running but unusable, headless) Pi 2B with bullseye installed as an in-situ upgrade has systemd-resolve in /usr/bin but the datestamp shows it was inherited from buster.

HTH

Reply to
Martin Gregorie

Neither, I think, but I'm not 100% sure how to check. Aren't both local DNS caching servers? This is on a fresh RaspiOS Bullseye Lite 64-bit:

$ resolvectl status Failed to get global data: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service not found

$ service systemd-resolved.service status Unit systemd-resolved.service.service could not be found.

Debian has this:

A. Dumas

I could find no evidence of a caching nameserver on my Pi...it picks up a nameserver in my case from a static definition in /etc/resolv.conf and that is it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, thanks all, I've decided to bite the bullet and write a new SD card (very old Pi) with a fairly recent Pi image and install it and take a look myself.

Listen to this space ....

Reply to
Chris Green

Le 1/12/21 à 22:30, Chris Green a écrit :

Have a look at /etc/nsswitch.conf

Reply to
zeneca

... and the answer is that TNP is absolutely right, there's no caching (or is it cacheing) nameserver installed by default on a Pi.

Ah, no, not quite. The systemd-resolved.service is installed but it's not activated by default:-

root@raspberrypi:~# systemctl status systemd-resolved.service ● systemd-resolved.service - Network Name Resolution Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled) Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service.d └─resolvconf.conf Active: inactive (dead) Docs: man:systemd-resolved.service(8)

Actually isn't that slightly worrying, it says "vendor preset: enabled" which suggests that it's supposed to be enabled but something has disabled it.

Reply to
Chris Green