BSD on Raspberry Pi 2 Model B fails to boot

Greetings,

A FreeBSD-10.2-STABLE-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20151130-r291506.img on a 32 GB microSD card inserted into a SD adapter successfully boots a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B.

The same microSD card directly inserted into a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B fails to boot. When power is applied both the PWR and ACT LEDs illuminate. Then the ACT LED turns off and nothing further happens. No output appears on the serial console port.

Is that FreeBSD image appropriate for a Pi 2? Does the SD adapter play any role?

If all else fails my plan is to burn a NOOB image on the SD to see what happens. The Pi comes with a two year warranty. So if the NOOB image also fails the Pi 2 will be returned for warranty replacement.

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

An expert will be along shortly but I'm pretty sure a Pi 2 is Arm v7 not v6. A Raspbian SD card contains 2 boot images and the boot process selects which to load, v6 or v7.

So I think you need a different .img and there's nothing wrong with the Pi.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

You need an image with RPI2 in the name.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Haun

Thank you. FreeBSD-armv6-11.0-RPI2-292991.img did the trick. It's all good now. :)

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to