Mor on win 10 raspeberry pi SMB

I seems that:

1/. Win10 requires at least SMBV3 or it wont connect UNLESS

- you tell windows ten to use SMB v1

2/. Windows ten will not 'browse' a network AT ALL. Yiou have to know where you want to connect., Soe sites suggest this is cinfiguranble on W10

3/. Later versions of SAMBA can be forced to use SMB V2 or V3 by putting

protocol = SMB3

or

protocol = SMB2

into the [global] section of the smb.conf file

The Natural Philosopher

Am 01.08.2019 um 14:17 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:

Here: Windows 1903 (Build 18362.267) and SMB v1 not enebled: Get-SmbServerConfiguration

AnnounceComment : AnnounceServer : False AsynchronousCredits : 64 AuditSmb1Access : False AutoDisconnectTimeout : 15 AutoShareServer : True AutoShareWorkstation : True CachedOpenLimit : 10 DurableHandleV2TimeoutInSeconds : 180 EnableAuthenticateUserSharing : False EnableDownlevelTimewarp : False EnableForcedLogoff : True EnableLeasing : True EnableMultiChannel : True

EnableOplocks : True EnableSecuritySignature : False ___________________________________________ EnableSMB1Protocol : False EnableSMB2Protocol : True ____________________________________________ EnableStrictNameChecking : True EncryptData : False IrpStackSize : 15 KeepAliveTime : 2 MaxChannelPerSession : 32 MaxMpxCount : 50 MaxSessionPerConnection : 16384 MaxThreadsPerQueue : 20 MaxWorkItems : 1 NullSessionPipes : NullSessionShares : OplockBreakWait : 35 PendingClientTimeoutInSeconds : 120 RejectUnencryptedAccess : True RequireSecuritySignature : False ServerHidden : True Smb2CreditsMax : 2048 Smb2CreditsMin : 128 SmbServerNameHardeningLevel : 0 TreatHostAsStableStorage : False ValidateAliasNotCircular : True ValidateShareScope : True ValidateShareScopeNotAliased : True ValidateTargetName : True

But it sees the pishares: net view bigbrother2 Freigegebene Ressourcen auf bigbrother2

bigbrother2 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Freigabename Typ Verwendet als Kommentar

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MP-C3003 Drucker RICOH MP C3003 pishare Platte Pi Shared Folder

you have to enable the "Datei und Druckerfreigabe" (turn on network discovery in your different network profiles under Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - Network and Sharing Center - Advanced Settings)

Thats not in my smb.conf and it works nevertheless. But its an ubuntu 19.04

Reply to
Helmut Harnisch

SMB1 client and server are installed

Windows 10 does browse the network. I can see all my other Windows machines. And now also the raspberry pi. It shows up, but I can't connect.

I will try this.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

not true, Windows does not require SMBv3, but it default to not using SMBv1.

see:

Windows can browse network, but it default to not do so. see:

Luuk
Reply to
Luuk

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 16:49:32 +0200, Fokke Nauta declaimed the following:

Which may only mean that the network discovery side is working... On mine it shows my Pi-Star R-Pi, but not my web-server R-Pi.

Yet, I've never configured Samba on either (it seems the Pi-Star image has it configured when burned to SD card). I can "open" the Pi-Star node, but it is an empty directory.

I have just followed the instructions (with some tweaks -- need sudo on the chown stage and it is "Shares" not "Share" at the smb.conf copy stage, and used "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" to restart nmbd and smbd, and sudo smbpasswd), at

and when refreshing the Win10 "network browser" window, the "Shares" directory appears under my Pi-Star node, and opening it reveals the edited smb.conf created via the instructions on the link.

Interestingly -- If I use "Map Network Drive", the [browse...] shows the Pi-Star node, and within that node it shows both the Pi-Star home directory AND the "Shares" directory created above.

Also -- I can "map" the directories WITHOUT providing account/password

-- so there may be something in the Pi-Star image that makes guest connections possible. I was expecting to use "other credentials" and provide the R-Pi Samba account/password pair.

******* I'm going to see what happens if I follow that URL using my web-server (though the firewall might block me) ...

Well -- can't get my server R-Pi to be seen by the network browser/map network drive... (It is, of course, visible via SSH and HTTP). I have no idea what may be different between the Pi-Star installation and the server installation (other than Pi-Star 3.x is based upon Jessie, while the server is running Stretch). [addendum: something just changed -- the node is showing, but no shares][And it's gone again... and back again after invoking "add network location"][and gone again after restarting samba daemon]

{Removing samba from server box since I only need SSH/SFTP to administer it}

But if your node /and shares on it/ are being seen by Window network, then the stuff in the URL should make something "mapable".

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

A thought: Do you really need direct access to the RPI filing system, i.e. Samba, or would some bi-directional file transport system do what you need?

If so, all you need to do is install an ftp client that supports SFTP file on your Windows system, such as FileZilla. The official website is:

I'm assuming that you're using SSH sessions to talk to your RPi from the Windows system, so you'll already have sshd running on the RPi. The SSH server, sshd, on the RPi can handle SFTP file transfer sessions as well as SSH and SSH2 interactive access.

I use SFTP this way and find it does all I need in the way of moving files around on my LAN.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

That's not bad, and for us ummm...*experienced* users it is comfortable. But for someone coming in from a windows envrionment, this might be a bit more comfortable:

I've used it from time to time and it works pretty well. One doesn't need to fiddle with samba, or deal with Windows bugs and workarounds.

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

'For somebody from a Windows environment' is precisely why I suggested he look at FileZilla - its a GUI file transfer client that works with both FTP and SFTP protocols. I think the OP has sshd running on his RPi (IIRC he logs into his RPi from his W10 box), by using FileZilla he not only has a reasonably familiar GUI interface but doesn't need to install anything new on his RPi.

I've used FileZilla on a Linux host, so know how easy it is to use - not dissimilar to gftp - which is another reason I namechecked it. Personally, I prefer gftp to FileZilla, and have used Samba to move files WinWin and WinLinux and settled on sftp rather than nfs for LinuxLinux transfers because that and CVS suit me better, but that's neither here nor there.

Note my caveat: =============== If the OP is willing to use a file transfer tool rather than remotely mounting the RPi FS on his W10 box then he should look for an FTP client that can handle SFTP transfers.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 19:03:36 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie declaimed the following:

If the OP is using PuTTY, he already has psftp

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

I wanted to know how to create a share on the pi, that is accessible by a Windows machine. As I use the pi as a pi hole, there is not really a need to achieve this, but I wanted to know how to do it. Soon I will install a Linux on our laptop instead of its current Windows 7. And I need to recreate a share on that machine for bi-directional file transports. On the pi it was just an exercise.

I use RealVNC to control the pi from my Windows machine. That works well.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

Wow, I really hungered for sshfs for Windows about a decade ago. These days not so much. Still, nice to know it's available.

Reply to
Anssi Saari