All my PDF files suddenly become Chrome HTML Document! Why?

Hi, Overnight all my PDF files suddenly become Chrome HTML Document! Why?

Are there some new things happening with Adobe policy on their free Read DC software yesterday?

Thank you.

Weng

Reply to
Tianxiang Weng

Did you install a Chrome update and it took ownership of PDF format files? The browsers all tend to have built in PDF viewers now. I expect that you can tell your OS that you prefer to use Adobel as the PDF viewer.

Reply to
Craig Ruff

Craig Ruff,

Chrome gets its update automatically and I don't have its control.

I found the reason that Chrome browser refreshed the read app attribute for all PDF files using Chrome Browser. See how to change pdf reading app:

After I changed it back to the Adobe app and all icons for pdf files returned to normal.

Thank you.

Weng

Reply to
Tianxiang Weng

Hi, how to change it back?

Reply to
asra asbollah

Weng, The YT video is marked private so when clicking on it, unable to view. :( Kate

Reply to
Kathleen Barry

Dear Weng, Same thing happened to me also. Could you please share the method how you changed back viewing docs as pdf? (video link you shared says its private and could not access) Many thanks! All the best, Tijana

Reply to
Tijana Vujasinovic

You probably just need to right click on any PDF file, then select 'Open With' then 'Choose another app' which will bring up a list of programs. Select the viewer you want and check the 'Always use this app to open .PDF files' checkbox.

Kevin Jennings

Reply to
KJ

ou changed back viewing docs as pdf? (video link you shared says its privat e and could not access)

With' then 'Choose another app' which will bring up a list of programs. Sel ect the viewer you want and check the 'Always use this app to open .PDF fil es' checkbox.

A new machine seems to default to making various MS apps the default if you give it half a chance. I do exactly the above to fix the issue when found . You can also go into a settings dialog and address all of the file types at once. That's what I had to do for LibreOffice to get the umptynine fil e types away from MS office and Edge.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Thanks!!! This worked easy

Reply to
brenda Carlin

Kevin Jennings - Thanks!! Your solution worked perfectly. Best, Cindi

Reply to
Cindi Wilson

ow you changed back viewing docs as pdf? (video link you shared says its pr ivate and could not access)

pen With' then 'Choose another app' which will bring up a list of programs. Select the viewer you want and check the 'Always use this app to open .PDF files' checkbox.

Hello,

I tried to open an attached document on an email ("open with...") using Goo gle Sheets and it changed every pdf document on my computer to the google c hrome as well. (Actually, it was my husband's computer and he's not happy) . I found this site and it sounds like what happened to us. I can see how to change just one document, but I am not sure about getting into the "set tings" to change all of the documents back to pdf's. Can you please walk m e through it again? I don't see the "always use this app to open" when I r ight click on a file. Please help!

Thank you Catherine

Reply to
Catherine Dulany DiBenedetto

e:

how you changed back viewing docs as pdf? (video link you shared says its private and could not access)

'Open With' then 'Choose another app' which will bring up a list of program s. Select the viewer you want and check the 'Always use this app to open .P DF files' checkbox.

oogle Sheets and it changed every pdf document on my computer to the google chrome as well. (Actually, it was my husband's computer and he's not happy ). I found this site and it sounds like what happened to us. I can see how to change just one document, but I am not sure about getting into the "sett ings" to change all of the documents back to pdf's. Can you please walk me through it again? I don't see the "always use this app to open" when I righ t click on a file. Please help!

I don't think you can change it for just one file. It is a setting that us es the suffix, the .xxx part and applies to every file with that suffix.

Open Windows file explorer and right click a PDF file, select "properties". Make sure the "general" tab is selected and at the top of that tab you w ill see "Opens with" and a button, "Change...". Click the button. Now fin d the program you use by default to view PDF files. If it is not shown, cl ick "more apps". If it is still not shown click "look for another app on this PC". When you find the app select it and click OK. In the propertie s window click "Apply". That should do it!

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 10:56:17 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

ote:

[...]

Thank you SO much this has worked :-)

Reply to
Mrs Higgins

Thank you Kevin - that is the answer

Reply to
lars kirk

Thanks, Kevin it helped me.

Reply to
William Wasonga

This doesn't work for me. When I follow the steps outlined above, Type of file is "Chrome HTML Document (.pdf)", and Opens with says "Adobe Acrobat DC" already. There's nothing to change.

Reply to
Barbara Lance

This happened to me as will. I have been trying to sync my laptop to my desktop. Once I allowed one drive access to my files it changed them to html format.

Reply to
Jason Whitlow

Try changing to none or some other app. Then change it back.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit