Anyone else experience flakey Edimax antennas?

Hi, I have purchased a few Edimax nano antennas over the past couple years. I use them with a RPi model B running Gentoo Linux and hostapd to implemen t a WiFi hotspot. I don't know if it's Bluetooth, HostAPD or what, but som e of them are just plain flakey ... requiring me to restart hostapd and re- connect whatever it is that got knocked-off.

Searching here turned-up only 3 Edimax-related posts. Has anyone else expe rienced this? And do you know what the root problem is?

Thanks!

Asymptopia Software

Reply to
Charles Cossé

If this is the Edimax 8192cu, disabling power management will help to some extent.

File "/etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf": options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

It will still lose it's connection every few days, though, but it's way better than before (x days vs. x minutes).

Reply to
Michael Vogel

Reply to
Charles Cossé

I've tried useing bluetooth on Linux, and on a rasbberry pi, and I gave up. Connection broke after a couple of hours, in best case.

I had a tcl-script that read from /dev/rcomm-whatever and the device was lost - with no reason. An arduino was sending temperature readings every minute via a HC-06, and the scrip inserted into a postgresql database.

I finally found my old ppc-osx to be stable and has been for months now. I also tried on windows, and steady as a rock, but the mac was always on anyway.

So bluetooth and linux have been - for me - a really disappointing experience.

Björn Lundin