Anydesk on raspi

Ah yes, I always wanted to look into this for a Raspberry Pi I have somewhere else behind double NAT (carrier grade NAT). Thanks!

So you should always be up, right? Or is this robust enough to reconnect within reasonable time of is down for a while?

Reply to
A. Dumas

Again, there is no shortage of disk space and it gets rotated.

The Natural Philosopher

Den 2020-10-28 kl. 09:28, skrev A. Dumas:

That is why he wrote he uses autossh

It reestablished the tunnel if needed

Reply to
Björn Lundin

So use another port that isn't blocked.

If you're really concerned about security then you don't allow *any* connections to the outside world. If you do allow connections then ssh is likely the least of your worries! :-)

--
Chris Green
Reply to

If you use autossh it will cope with a 'not always there' myhost. However in my case I have an intermediate 'ssh bridge' system which is a virtual host on a commercial hosting provide so it is always there.

The 'ssh bridge' is to protect my home system from incessant ssh attacks, my home system's firewall allows connections only from two or three IPs, one of which is the ssh bridge.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Indeed damage cause by outbound ssh will be because of deliberate action by a member of staff, in which case all bets are off anyway

Outbound connections to Web pages are more likely to be the cause of accidental damage (virus & malware etc.) unfortunately blocking them does tend to make having any form of internet connection mostly unusable

blocking all outbound traffic usualy just causes headaches when someone needs to legitimately use a new service that had not been foreseen.

In my experience IT teams are notoriously obstructive to making changes & slow to deliver when their hand is forced.

--
/*
 * At first I thought these guys were on crack, but then I discovered the

	- comment from include/linux/mtd/cfi_endian.h
Reply to
alister

Failtoban effectively shuts the port, which, if the hacker is monitoring what is happening lets him know that he cannot make any further attempts which will stop him bothering your system & move on. This should reduce the amount of waisted traffic your network has to deal with.

it also reduces the time available for the hacker to identify any ssh exploits that may have been discovered

Security in depth.

--
Be sociable. Speak to the person next to you in the unemployment line
tomorrow.

There is a difference between

  1. No answer when setting up the connection
  2. Remote machine dies
  3. Local process dies

I figured autossh was at least good for 3, but I wasn't sure about 2 (probably) or 1 (maybe).

Reply to
A. Dumas

Typically when this is done all ports are blocked, then some things are allowed through via proxies (including https with a MITM proxy) that allow enforcement of policies and monitoring of traffic.

That's not too dissimilar to removing the power and embedding in concrete. Stick the work "unrestricted" between allow and connections and I'd agree.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

As I said, in ten years up, no breakins. I dont fix nonexistent problems

--
?The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the
urge to rule it.?

Am 27.10.20 um 16:40 schrieb Martin Gregorie:

Because it is not available. ipv4 over ipv6.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Novak

I guess you'll have to provide a little more detail on the network setup. Is it 4over6 tunneling you mean perhaps? At a guess that would look like any ipv4 connection with no unique public IP address that someone could connect to? But what about the ipv6 side then, shouldn't that be easy to connect to or is it blocked somehow as well?

Reply to
Anssi Saari