When DHCP is enabled on both the Server and the Client side

I recently encountered a rare situation: both the clients (in the field) and the server obtains their IP address via DHCP. To keep a reliable communication between the clients and the server, a multicast discovery protocol such as BONJOUR is typically employed. However, BONJOUR requires avahi on Linux, which is not available on Wind River Linux yet (which is my currect OS). I would like to know if there is a simplier substitute for BONJOUR which doesn't involve with avahi. Please help. Also, since most routers manufacturers already supported dynDNS in their equipments, is it possible for us to get the dynamic IP address of the client and the server from the routers? Thanks!

Reply to
like2learn

Yes.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

You need a dynamic DNS name for the server and such clients that they obtain a DNS server address with DHCP. In this combination the clients are able to open the connections using the DNS name of the server.

Zeroconf/Bonjour/Avahi is not the solution here, it is specified to work in a local network only.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Really? Zeroconf/Bonjour/Avahi is not the solution here, and it is specified to work in a local network only? Could you please show me a few more detail?

I once thought it was the only solution to my problem.

Thank you!

Reply to
like2learn

So we can get the dynamic IP address of the client and the server from the routers, right? What is the backup solution if the router doesn't support dynDNS? Thank you!

Reply to
like2learn

You can start with this:

.
--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

I think zeroconf is only for local network, right? My application actually involves WANs. Thank you!

Reply to
like2learn

That's right. The address block 169.254.0.0/16 is reserved for local-link use, i.e. zeroconf (or whatever trade name there is).

Zeroconf does not cross routers unless they are broken. To access the outside Net, the router must NAT a zeroconf addreess.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

ast