Yamaha AW2400 24 track digital recorder deck

Asked about repairing one that someone lent on and split the large 12 line, or so, LCD display. I don't often see computer type audio kit. Yamaha no help on replacement screen. Owner could still use it via a pc to operate it but he used it mainly on gig sites so PC was inconvenient. I advised borrowing a palmtop, notebook or laptop to try replacing the pc and then obtain a second hand one fixed to the Yamaha. Is this a standard "repair" technique for such kit ? Is there a favourite small portable "PC" for this sort of fix , not just Yamaha but other makes of kit with large irreplaceable operational screens.

N Cook