Tascam 388 combined reel to reel and 8 track mixer

Before someone brings this 80 lbs weight .84x.22x.64 metre piece of kit half way across the country for me to repair. Does anyone know whether it is a straightforward job, and how, for the owner to remove the large and heavy glass top for him to leave at home ?

n cook

1) The top glass is hinged, two pins (one on each side); the pins are spring loaded and with slight effort (hold the glass straight up) the spring retainers are moved and the glass lifts out (no tools.) 2) Motherboard/plug in card assembly for the rec/play preamps; most failures we've encountered on them are in the power supply (loss of a regulated supply) or loss of transport control due to an open motor control pass transistor. Not that big a deal, usually, to get the rear cover off for inspection (but I pray you have a manual?) Rare, but there are a few fuses under that rear cover, you could get real lucky.

IMO too much crap in one box, mediocre performance from a transport that's too slow with head track separation that guarantees crosstalk (come on, 8 tracks on a quarter inch of tape?); and that's when they're working properly. Sorry Teac, perfect machine for AM talk radio SM57 mixdowns (as long as you don't need more than 40 db S/N or want to go below 100Hz or above 8Khz.)

-Robert QTS

electron

it is

heavy

I had got the impression that the glass covered the whole top of the m/c, so imagined a 3 foot by 2 foot sheet of glass Calling up internet pics I see it only covers the r-t-r deck.

The actual problem is tape transport, hopefully not motor failure I have a number of Tascam r-t-r technical manuals for the same period

Reply to
n cook