Digital pcb repair steps

Could some people give me their idea of the steps to take when repairing a Digital system? Let's assume I don't have the schematic or other paper on these boards. They are arcade game boards. On this one particluar board I am working on it comes up with a work ram error. I checked all of the RAMS and they check OK. What is the next step? Maybe something with the address line? It is a system running on a 68000. Also if I am checking pins on different chips with my scope what are the levels that would point to a bad chip or node. Anything below .5 volts and above 4 volts? Still confused on this one, Thanks Uriah

Reply to
Russ

obtain pinouts of all the chippery. magnified inspection of all joints continuity associated with all vias check power rails are correct and at all chips check oscillator is functioning check all clock inputs have a signal after that its more like divination, trying to isolate functional /non-functional blocks, excessive heating of chips/removal/checking/replacement etc

N Cook

There aren't any set steps to solving the problem beyond the basic checks for voltage and stuck address lines. Repairing boards like this is somewhat of an art, it just takes a lot of practice and a good understanding of the building blocks used to create it.

Reply to
James Sweet