how does a leveling laser make a line

In an inexpensive leveling laser for home use, (such as the Lazerpro) how is the line or cross produced?

Reply to
D. Whyte

I think they are using coherent light from the laser through a mask.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

A line can be produced with a simple cylindrical lens like a glass rod.

But they probably use a holographic optical element, like the kind found in laser pointers with 27 pattern heads. These are just very simple being either a line or cross. Search for HOE - holographic optical element.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Not quite a mask but probably a holographic optical element.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I have a cheap Harbor Freight line beam. It looks like a refraction grid that makes the line. looks like IIIIIIIIII to make a horizontal beam.

greg

Reply to
GregS

is

in the

But what produces the verticality/horizontality ? The only one I was familiar with 20 or so years ago was a pro bit of kit using a gyroscopic spinner to obtain the a level plane of rotation, took about 30 seconds to achieve the level.

n cook

Yep, that's another way, so perhaps that could be called a mask. That's probably even cheaper than the HOE, but quite effective.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

You can't use two rod lenses as that will just smear out the line produced by the first. But the holographic optical element can essentially be made to produce any kind of image, so that's one way of doing it. They could generate two lines and then combine them but that's excessively complex.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Sam Goldwasser spake thus:

So no rotating mirrors? That would have been my guess. But maybe too complex and prone to breakage for so simple a tool.

--
I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it
will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this

- Horst Prillinger (see
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.prillinger/blog/archives/2004/06/000623.html)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Some professional leveling lasers do use an upward pointing laser with a rotating 45 degree mirror above it to produce a line 360 degrees around all vertical surfaces.

But the cheap bubble level replacements don't. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: