Why is the micro USB so fragile compared to mini USB cable ends?

Don't blame me, blame the spellchecker ;-)

Ta

-- chris

Reply to
Chris Uppal

Chris Uppal wrote, on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:26:08 +0100:

I suspect it's the latter as Frys was selling them cheap.

I do remember one failing right off the bat, and they replaced it without even looking at it, which is odd, for Frys (who is usually a pain to return stuff to).

So, I now conclude they are used to getting *these* cables back. Too bad Frys has such a short warranty period (something like two weeks or so).

Reply to
Avraham Bernholz

The Burbank and Industry stores have been OK about returning stuff, which is good because we've returned a LOT of stuff. They clearly sell a lot of questionable stuff, but the prices are frequently so good that we're willing to risk it. Over the years we're clearly ahead of the game, even taking the cost of gas for the return trip into account.

There are penalties for procrastination :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

rural

much

wifi and

Yep, nothing to talk to they don't try. Getting the damn thing to wake back up when you know you are back in coverage can be PITA.

Going in or out of coverage be that coverage weak or strong really drains the battery as the thing is constantly logging in, losing tignal, getting it back, logging in again, etc etc. If this is happening in a weak signal area the drain is higher as the phone will crank up it's output.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Poutnik wrote

That doesn't happen. If it did, it wouldn't see coverage return when you get to the next town that does have a tower.

It always does that, because coverage will return eventually when you are driving around in a car.

Like I say, I don't get that effect with mine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I usually set a phone for airplane mode in such areas, to save battery. Good thing is that GPS receiver works in that mode as well, as it is not transmitter.

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
Reply to
Poutnik

I had never seen anything but black (and of course, iPod cables in white).

But I was looking for something in a chain drugstore yesterday, and suddenly notice they have colored microUSB cables for 3.99. Not dollar store pricing, but kind of handy to know. I try to grab them when I see them in the garbage or in 25cent bins at garage sales, but I keep misplacing them.

And some color would be nice.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Ebay has a lot of colors, but they aren't cheap.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Same here.

It's my general rule: Plug in the most fragile first, the least fragile last.

This is what I tell my girlfriend ...

Start charging:

  1. Plug micro USB into phone/tablet
  2. Plug USB A into charger
  3. Plug charger into mains

or

  1. Plug micro USB into phone
  2. Plug USB A into laptop

And after charging:

  1. Unplug charger from mains
  2. Unplug USB A from charger
  3. Unplug micro USB from phone/tablet

or

  1. Unplug USB A from laptop
  2. Unplug micro USB from phone/tablet

Never had a USB cable fail on me.

--
Kees Nuyt
Reply to

Way too much hassle. Just leave the cable and charger plugged in all the time. The micro end still receives the same number of inserts.

Me neither.

Reply to
Aaron2

Just bought some?

I don't see any USB cables listed using their search engine.

Maybe it's just a product that they occasionally have so it isn't listed on their website?

Also, are the cables data cables or are they for charging only?

Reply to
Ron

They are not always in stock, so they aren't on their website. They are data cables. There are four or five stores around here, and one is close to the grocery store I use. Another is next to the harbor Freight store, and a third near Office Depot. The others are further than it's worth to drive to, for a couple $1 items

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks! I need a data cable for my Kindle Fire and a dollar is a great deal.

Reply to
Ron