Suggestion to add a new feature test to all portable GPS reviews

To: snipped-for-privacy@gpsmagazine.com Date: today

Since the whole point of PORTABLE GPS navigation units is, uh, portability, I have a suggestion.

PLEASE NOTE WHETHER THE UNITS USE STANDARD USB

Remember, portability comprises mostly two things, namely (a) size and (b) power. Since many of us already have cell phones (and earbuds) that already use standard USB power supplies, why carry an EXTRA supply everywhere you go just to power and recharge the GPS unit?

I believe it is now high time that all your future GPS reviews state whether or not the GPS unit under test can use a standard 5 volt 500ma miniUSB power supply (AC or DC auto adapter) for the three things that the USB port "can" be used for, namely PCD: a) Power b) Charging c) Data

For example, the TomTom One can use a standard mini-USB power port for charging the unit, powering the unit, and data transfer while the nuvi 350 can only use the standard mini-usb power port for charging and data but not for operation of the unit. That makes the nuvi series vastly less useful from a portability standpoint because one would need to carry the additional power supply everywhere they go.

Please take this modern hint into consideration in your next review.

Rather than continuously whining about this here, why don't do some more constructive work like make up a table of power/interface options for units, and post it where reviewers/manufacturers might see it and use it.

Or, go and whine at the gps mfgrs to include this info. in their product specs.

Or, go whine at your consumer affairs advocate to effect the above,

Or, just keep buying/borrowing and testing units yourself, and post the results, without all the whining. Don't whine about the shortcomings of others, just keep showing them how to do it right.

This is a community - nobody appreciates a constant whiner.

Reply to
Happy Trails

I'm not whining; I'm trying to sensitize the reviewers to the needs of the consumer in the community. All I did was post a respectful suggestion to the company (in this case, the GPS review editors) ... and, to keep 'em honest, I reposted a copy of that letter here for all to see.

The GPS reviewers are good people. They just don't know much about USB ports, in general, that's all. That much is obvious from the facts in the review that I showed above where they either cover the USB functionality half way or they simply list "USB port" without understanding nor explaining the three functions (power, charge, data).

I don't blame the GPS reviewers; up until now, even the good ones didn't need to understand USB ports. But, I suspect going forward, all (or at least most) GPS units will have a USB port and a rechargeable battery so this discussion becomes more and more germane with every new unit out there.

Going forward, I predict you'll see more and more units coming out with USB ports with more and more covering the three functions (power, charge, data) and correspondingly, more and more GPS reviewers understanding why it's important to the consumer that the reviewers take a moment to understand the unit under test.

Therefore, I predict, the better GPS reviewers in the future will mention what the USB port actually does (and does not do) in the GPS unit supposedly under test.

No, you probably won't, since battery charging is something that USB is specifically not designed for. The current draw for a reasonably quick recharge (as opposed to a trickle charge) tends to exceed the 500 mA USB spec. That doesn't mean that a USB _connector_ can't be used to recharge, but it is unreasonable to expect that ability from a USB data connection, since it has the potential for damaging a laptop or just putting an excessive drain on the laptop's batteries.

I have a rechargeable Sony Clie PDA. The docking connector has two cables, one for the power brick and the other for the USB host. Now, I also have an aftermarket "USB" cable that both charges and provides the data connection from a USB host. Does that mean that Sony was dumb to supply an AC adapter and a more complex connector when a $3 cable would do? No, it meant that _they were following the USB specification_, so as not to cause, or even potentially cause, damage to the USB host or violate the USB spec.

No, you hope that the manufacturers will decide that your desire for a universal charging cable is worth the trouble. I would hope that the reviewers concentrate on the aspects that actually matter, such as accuracy, ease of use, and decent maps.

Now, _I_ predict that you will see a return to a a simple 2-wire power plug (cigar lighter style), as eventually every GPSR will have wireless data connectivity, either via Bluetooth or 802.11~. Then the two-wire charger will be replaced with magnetic induction charging, and there won't be any connectors or wires at all.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

No- not induction charge but resonant evanescent magnetic field charging which has been demonstrated to be 1xe6 more efficient.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Well it looks a lot like you are. Perhaps you perceive your messages differently to how (some) others perceive them...

Your perception of the needs. Why has this not come up before? If it was such a need I expect that at least some of the reviewers would already be providing the information you ask for. Why don't they?

--

Dominic Sexton
Reply to

I was thinking along the lines of MIT's "WiTricity", which is referred to in the article I read as "magnetically coupled resonance". Regardless, no USB connector required.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz