removing a speaker's connector panel

I'm finally getting around to upgrading a pair of Advent speakers (the original model with green tweeters).

The connector panel -- on which the crossover network is mounted -- is glued to the inside of the speaker. I could remove and replace the crossover components in situ, * but that strikes me as asking for trouble. It would make more sense to completely remove the panel.

The "obvious" way is to repeatedly run a sharp knife (such as a carpet knife) along the panel's edges, until enough of the adhesive has been broken that the panel comes loose.

Is this "reasonable", or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

  • I'm also replacing the switch and the jacks.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Some adhesives can be made brittle by cold. Can you leave the Advents in a walk-in freezer overnight? You might find it easier to break out the crossover board after chilling the adhesive down to sub-freezing temperatures. A gentle sideways "rap" with a soft mallet and a dowel might break it free.

If you do this, seal the speaker in a plastic bag before bringing it outside to warm up to room temperature, so that you don't get lots of condensation forming on all of the metal and plastic parts.

Reply to
David Platt

I have not tried it, but from your description, it may be easier and quicker to use a spray freeze ?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I don't have a walk-in freezer, but the idea of hitting it with a freeze spray is appealing. I think I have some.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

William,

DON'T disturb the crossover! Remove the woofer (which likely needs refoaming anyway) and service the crossover in place. In addition to glue, they are often stapled in place as well. There's not much to the crossover in these, so it shouldn't be a big deal to service it in place.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz