Whirlpool Dehumidifier Vibration Noise Ordeal

Hi,

Less than two years ago, I bought a Whirlpool dehumidifier model AD50DSS2. This is a 50 pint, manual control unit. I wanted a manual control type because I built my own controller which wouldn't work with electronic control dehumidifiers. Note: It is hard to find a manual control type of dehumidifier, which was common years ago.

I became very disappointed with it because of the vibration noise. The noise isn't there all the time. I called Whirlpool about the vibration noise, and they sent a service man. He opened up the unit and checked for loose components. He put some kind of compound down where the compressor is located. It seemed to fix the problem at first, but after he left, the noise was back. I will spare you the details regarding the number of times I worked on this "infernal machine". Note: I am a consumer products service technician (repair TVs, etc.). It seems as though the "housing" (cabinet) resonates with the compressor vibration, thus "amplifying" the vibration noise. If I squeeze on the sides of the cabinet, the noise goes down. The degree of vibration noise seems to be dependent on the room temperature and humidity.

I can't tell you how many times I felt like getting the sledge hammer and using it to fix the noise permanently, but where would I find a manual control, 50 pint dehumidifier?

Before this Whirlpool, I had a quiet Goldstar dehumidifier (manual control) for many years. Eventually the compressor went bad. I was told it would be too expensive to get it repaired. Unfortunately, I put it out for trash, and I bought this Whirlpool.

The reason I posted this is to warn you if you are thinking about buying a dehumidifier, go with another brand.

John

PS, Email address is not valid.

Reply to
jaugustine

Look at some of the sound deadening products for the aftermarket automotive field. They may do exactly what you want to get the various vibrations damped...

Reply to
PeterD

From a lot of experience I had vibration problems with everything from air conditioners of both portable floor models, to window units. It took a lot of trial and error to find where the vibration is coming from. Sometimes it could be where the cabinet edges join to each other, or there could be some type of internal bracket or panel that is resonating against the cabinet. There could be a place in the cabinet where there is a part that is vibrating from the compressor or a fan motor and it is causing a resonance to the cabinet.

What you could do is take the cabinet apart, and run the unit and closely observe if possible, to see if something would be or is very close to a part of the cabinet or another part that could be transfering the vibration.

This type of thing could be very difficult to find. I have spent a lot of time and not always found the resonance very easily. I had one air conditioner where I gave up because it was so intermittant.

I have seen cases where there would be several of the same model, and one particular one is resonating. The in trying to find the vibration was a task in itself.

Because of the way these units are built, there is not much effort in designing these units to be anti-resonant, or at least be designed so that they cannot resonate with any of the working parts inside. For this there would be a much greater cost.

When you buy something like this, you are taking a crap-shoot if it will be a very good unit or not. I found that most all of these appliances are very much of the same or similiar components inside. They make many of the components not interchangeable so you are stuck to the brand name when doing service. In fact most of the parts for the different brands are made by the same contractors as each other.

My wife bought an electric kettle. We paid about $80 for it. This kettle died after about a month. I brought it in for service. They kept it for two weeks, and finally gave us a new one. The new one died in about 2 months again. We kept getting them fixed on the average of about every two months until the warranty ran out. After some heated discussion when they would no longer fix it under warranty, the service manager told us that they are getting many of these back. They are produced in Asia very cheaply, and are mostly all made in the same factores.

We found an electric kettle that was made in the US at a professional kitchen supply distributor. This is a very rare species of appliance! It was fairly expensive. I think it was nearly $200 for it. We have it for over 3 years now, and it has not given any problem at all.

Jerry G.

--
On Sep 15, 7:36=A0am, jaugust...@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> =A0 =A0 Less than two years ago, =A0I bought a Whirlpool dehumidifier mod=
el
> AD50DSS2. =A0This is a 50 pint, manual control unit. =A0I wanted a manual
> control type because I built my own controller which wouldn\'t work with
> electronic control dehumidifiers. =A0 Note: =A0It is hard to find a manua=
l control
> type of dehumidifier, =A0which was common years ago.
>
> =A0 =A0 I became very disappointed with it because of the vibration noise=
. =A0The
> noise isn\'t there all the time. =A0 I called Whirlpool about the vibratio=
> noise, and they sent a service man. =A0He opened up the unit and checked =
for
> loose components. =A0 He put some kind of compound down where the compres=
sor
> is located. =A0It seemed to fix the problem at first, but after he left, =
=A0the
> noise was back. =A0I will spare you the details regarding the number of t=
imes I
> worked on this "infernal machine". =A0 Note: =A0I am a consumer products
> service technician (repair TVs, etc.). =A0It seems as though the "housing=
"
> (cabinet) resonates with the compressor vibration, thus "amplifying" the
> vibration noise. =A0If I squeeze on the sides of the cabinet, the noise g=
oes
> down. =A0The degree of vibration noise seems to be dependent on the room
> temperature and humidity.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0I can\'t tell you how many times I felt like getting the sledge=
 hammer
> and using it to fix the noise permanently, =A0but where would I find a
> manual control, 50 pint dehumidifier?
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0Before this Whirlpool, =A0I had a quiet Goldstar dehumidifier =
(manual
> control) for many years. =A0Eventually the compressor went bad. =A0I was =
told it
> would be too expensive to get it repaired. =A0 Unfortunately, =A0I put it=
 out for
> trash, and I bought this Whirlpool.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0The reason I posted this is to warn you if you are thinking ab=
out buying
> a dehumidifier, =A0go with another brand.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 John
>
> PS, =A0Email address is not valid.
Reply to
Jerry G.

We found an electric kettle that was made in the US at a professional kitchen supply distributor. This is a very rare species of appliance! It was fairly expensive. I think it was nearly $200 for it. We have it for over 3 years now, and it has not given any problem at all.

Jerry G.

Seems like an awful lot of money for an electric kettle, Jerry. Our current one cost about 20 quid (~$30) and is now in its 4th year ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well just because yours has something vibrating inside doesn't mean they all do. It's pretty easy to track down vibration issues even for simpletons like yourself.

Reply to
Meat Plow