Faulty dehumidifier

I have a portable dehumidifier (Wickes own brand; I think it's a compressor model?) about 18 months old which has stopped working.

The humidistat appears to be working in that if you turn it up, it clicks in and the dehumidifer motor starts working; however the water output container remains bone-dry.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong, and whether it's repairable or a bin job?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

If you have the receipt, a card statement, or anything that proves when you bought it (Like a manufacturing date on it, as it is an own brand), it's a take it back to the shop job, under your rights as detailed in the sale of goods act.

If it is a compressor type, it will detail the refrigerant gas it uses on the back somewhere.

has more advise.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Lobster brought next idea :

A compressor type has a motor and you suggest a motor starts -so it is indeed a compressor type. One more check you could do is on the cooled matrix which should quickly become cold when the motor runs. If it is not getting cold, then it has lost its gas. If it is only 18 months old, then take it back and quote the Sale of Goods act to the supplier.

--
Regards,
        Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Actually two motors - the compressor and the fan. In mine, it's the fan which makes most noise and starts when you turn it on. There's a 3 minute delay before the compressor starts up (mainly to ensure that if there was a momentary power interruption, the compressor doesn't try to start instantly when it would most likely fail due to existing pressure differential in the system). The compressor generates a small amount of low frequency vibration, but very little of the noise, and I doubt most people would notice it switching on 3 minutes later.

It would be interesting to know which motors are running. If either of them isn't, then it won't work.

I had something similar - the circuit which generates the 3 minute timer stopped working and the compressor never came on. This was due to a zener diode in the simple LV dropper power supply shorting out, which I replaced. Most consumers would need to have it professionally repaired though.

On big/heavy items, you'll often find a number to call to get support, rather than carting it back to the shop.

Something else which can damage these is moving them whilst they're running, or running them after moving them without allowing 24 hours standing time first. If you tipped it onto its side, then it can be quite difficult to get it working again without wrecking it, so never do that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

You can easily check that the fan is turning as you can see it and feel the airflow. Small dehumidifiers tend to have the crapiest fan motors imaginable, open frame and as far as I can tell with metal on rubber "bearings". Mine seized very early on and had a lot of trouble starting but would keep going once it did. Lubricating the bearings fixed it.

If it's not that then use your IR thermometer (everyone on uk.d-i-y has one now don't they?) to check that the cold bit gets cold..

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

It can be a bit hard to do that, I used my multimeter and a K type thermocouple.

Reply to
James Salisbury

What's the ambient temperature and the outside temperature? The manual probably tells you a minimum operating temperature.

My dehumifier also stops working whenever the outside temp goes below freezing point. (Never figured out why, but it is the same every year.)

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok

Gerard Bok wrote on Feb 1, 2010:

Could it be that the relative humidity inside tends to reduce with a low outside temperature?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Lane

Some dehumidifiers will not work when the ambient temp is lower than the rated range of operation. Check the temperature of the space the dehumidifier operates in and compare it to the rating. If it is lower than the rating buy a dehumidifier designed to work in low temperature applications.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Consumer goods in GB have a lifetime warranty? That's interesting...

Reply to
PeterD

The OP may be referring to the fan motor, however.

Reply to
PeterD

Where did I say that?

Reply to
Toby

Maybe it could, but that is not the case here. RH is normally kept at some 50% by the hygrostat. Currently (freezing outside) it is near 60% (inside).

What might be the cause is a slight temperature variation inside that just passes the operating limit for the dehumifier. (Inside temperature is between say 10 and 15 degrees Celsius for an outside range of say minus 10 to plus 30)

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok

Well, he's had it for a year and a half, so I'd say it was out of warranty. Certainly around here, a year is about the limit on such warranties.

The "Sale of goods act" might be a good thing, but does it really apply? (I don't know, so I'm really asking!)

Reply to
PeterD

The reason they shut off automatically at lower temps is because the cooling coils that the moisture condenses on will freeze up when ambient temps drop below a certain point. (usually about 45F, or so)

Reply to
PeterD

on 01/02/2010, PeterD supposed :

It legally has to last for as long as a reasonable person would expect it to last, upto a limit of six years. This is subject to how much wear and tear it has received and how much was paid for the item. You would not expect a cheap poor quality item to give as good service as a quality item. The claim is against the seller, rather than the manufacturer and once out of the usual guaranteed period - you may only get a proportion of the cost of repair.

--
Regards,
        Harry (M1BYT) (L)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just been having another look into this.

Am thinking maybe it's not a compressor model? - haven't wanted to open up the case until I've decided whether it's going back or not.

Anyway, it's blowing warm air out the back (about 5 deg C above room temp), and the fan cuts in and out as normal as you crank the humidistat setting up and down. But the water reservoir is totally dry. And I think the fan is the only motor though... not a compressor model, then?

Have found the receipt (it was from Wickes online) and it's actually 22 months old, and wasn't exactly a bank-breaker at 60 GBP. I still may try the SOGA route (certainly the machine has only ever had light domestic use and never been subjected to extremes of temperature) but just wondered whether there was a simple repair I could do instead?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

If it has a compressor, then it will usually detail the gas on the back it uses - does it have anything like "R410A" on the back?

Reply to
Toby