For mass production, which is the good way to trigger test event?

That depends on what the consequences of triggering test mode is.

On some cell phones, their maintenance mode can be used to eavesdrop on other conversations or mess up the local cell traffic.

The French lost an Arriane booster when its avionics unintentionally went into test mode.

Otherwise, it could be convenient for customers to diagnose product problems if they can run some tests without having to send the product in.

Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for
   the change to take effect. Reboot now? [OK]
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Please Boki, dont be so cryptic with your messages, a bit more information would be helpful for those who cannot read minds

martin

"Wales is a big welsh-shaped rain collection device"

Reply to
martin griffith

Compared to previous Boki posts, this one was down-to-earth, clear, and direct.

At times I'm 90% convinced that "Boki" is really an automated program producing random technical-sounding questions.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

My experience is with mass production of toys, VCRs etc, other manufactured in China.

The usual method is to hold down some combination of keys during power-up.

As for letting the user know the method, it depends on the product. For a toy, don't confuse tyhe user with test modes. For an oscilloscope or calculator, document the self-test mode.

If you are using automated testing, consider using boundary-scan JTAG testing.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Hi All, For mass production, I have to trigger product going to test mode, is that OK if user know the trigger method ?

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

The only thing I can tell you is that if the product is popular, and if it is possible to do interesting things by triggering test mode, then users will probably find out how to do it.

I'm not sure this is helpful, but I hope it is. ;-)

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote (in ) about 'For mass production, which is the good way to trigger test event?', on Thu, 14 Apr 2005:

For some TVs, you'd think it would launch World War 3. Ridiculously complex sequences of button-pushing, on the set as well as on the remote.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

Does anybody know if an IBM P260 monitor has some secret test code to set the black background? I used to do this to video game monitors - it's one of the pots on the neck board. Well, I opened the case on my monitor, and there are no pots at all. )-; So I have a washed-out- looking monitor. )-; All I can find in the menus are bright/contrast, and all the standard geometry controls.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"John Woodgate" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

I've recently seen that on some TVs the test mode allow you to set some parameters like, CRT max current, colors gain...

I guess it's better for this to be well hidden.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I'm thinking particularly of your classic "What kind of modulator do we need for next technology life?" thread :-). No non-manager human would ever be able to phrase such a question...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Hi, Thank you very much for valuable comment.

  1. It already define one combination keys for upgrade firmware, I worried user can easily trigger test mode if we define another combination keys ( due to only few keys. )
  2. I am considering sequence keys, but I worried that costs a longer trigger time.
  3. Confusing on document it or not, consumer goods. Afraid of user complicated/confusing.

I think I prefer document it and run a self-demo :)

Best regards, Boki.

"Guy Macon" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Boki

"Tim Shoppa" ???????: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Agree.

Disagree.

Reply to
Boki

Hi,

Great help, I have the same thinking about yours.

Test is demo, demo is test. :D

Best regards, Boki.

"Mac" ???????: snipped-for-privacy@bar.net...

Reply to
Boki

The Turing Test?

martin

"Wales is a big welsh-shaped rain collection device"

Reply to
martin griffith

"Tim Shoppa" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Maybe he's a manager :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

One thing i did a long time ago on an 8051 micro. When a specific button was held down during powerup it went into a service routine. The LCD showed "Keyboard Error" if any key was held down during powerup. I was not using the UART, so I normally drove a led, in normal mode with the uart pin. But in the test mode it became an optical UART out, I used a photosensor to couple to a terminal.