Sony TV KV35v36 color problem

I inherited a '98 Sony KV35v36 - 35" television with a color problem. Basicly, the green is not bright enough. I got ahold of the service and adjustment manuals and have a test DVD from Avia. If I display the green-only test pattern, the result is a dark green screen - compared to bright green on another working TV. Yellow-only looks orange-ish and the cyan test looks roughly the same as blue. Red and Blue by themselves looks good - as well as magenta.

There is also a color pattern on the disc with reds, greens, blues of varying brightness. The reds and blues look the same as compared to a working tv, but there is no change in the greens.

I haven't opened the set yet and thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction to look first. I'm hoping to be able to fix this as the set has some nice features - dual tuner picture-in-picture, ect.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

Glen.

Reply to
glenski

CRT is bad..

Reply to
kip

Curious how you came to that conclusion. Is there any tests/measurements I can do to verify this?

Thanks, Glen.

kip wrote:

Reply to
glenski

With a blank input applied, in otherwords the sync must be present but no or little video, take a 5K ohm 2W resistor and temporarily short the R,G, and B cathode to ground while looking at the screen in a mirror. If the green is clearly much weaker than the red and blue, the tube is confirmed low green emission.

On a Sony you would have to monitor the AKB return pulse from each cathode on a cold start of the tube, tube off for at least 15 minutes.

I would guess that the prior owner had the blinking video at turn on due to the unbalanced guns and the G2 voltage was increased to compensate so the picture would be visible. This is pretty common on the older 32" and 35" low end Sony (non-xbr) tubes from about 8 years ago.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Why !!! Because I just came across one with the exact same model number and fault.

kip

Reply to
kip

I guess you dont like Bad news.

Reply to
kip

Actually, Kip, don't you think it would be in IK blanking if it were a bad CRT? If there is nothing else wrong, a Sony like this one should blank if it can't balance the three IK pulses. I have seen them do this with a bad VCJ or bad IK buffer.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

True !!..B But the chances are the CRT right..my 3rd one since Feb this year. Those 35V36,s .. Really its a shame because they did have a good pic.

kip

Reply to
kip

Never did. Am I the only one? :>

Reply to
glenski

Well I guess the good news is that I had a total of $0 dollars invested in this, although my back was sore for two days after moving it.

Now my problem is what to do with a 200 lb boat anchor - without a boat.

Thanks for all the replys.

Glen.

Reply to
glenski