what kind of connectort is this?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:22:03 +0100, "tg" put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's expensive ($48.95).

Canon D-Terminal to Component Video Cable for XL-H1 HDV Camcorder:

If you want to make your own, and if you can't find the pinout, then I'd remove the battery from your camera and use a multimeter to determine the ground pins. These will probably show continuity with the battery negative terminal. If the layout is logical, then I'd expect to find three signal grounds in a row. Opposite each of these would be your RGB pins. But that's only a wild guess.

When powered up, I expect that the signal pins would measure 2Vpp unloaded and 1Vpp into a 75 ohm termination.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

You may already be aware of this, but although the cables have color codes of red/blue/green, that is NOT what's coming down the wires, the HD component format it is NOT the old RGB format.

ManhattanMan

thanks for your response. It's hard to tell exactly but the gender on that D-Terminal at bhphotovideo looks the same as mine, thus it won't connect unless I can find a gender changer somewhere. It also looks like the same cable as this:

which also won't fit. Page 101 of the manual for the XL-H1 HDV Camcorder shows the camera to have a socket for the D-Terminal, thus the cable to connect to it would have to have a plug. Thanks also for your advice on establishing the pin-outs.

Reply to
tg

I'd email B&H Photo, send your pic, and they could verify it in no time. They're a great company, have delt with them for decades! Since the ad specifically states it's for the XL-H1 Canon, and the picture isn't big enough to get a good look, I'm sure they'd be happy to eyeball it for you.

Reply to
ManhattanMan

thanks I tried B&H Photo but I was not lucky. I got a reply from a complete bonehead who didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about. He said this might work for me:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ....

Reply to
tg

Maybe you got a reply from someone who didn't understand the question. You can email me and I'll hand-carry your question to one of our senior sales associates and post his reply for your edification.

Henry Posner B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

Reply to
henryp

okay Henry my original email to B&H is copied and pasted here:

'I want to connect my DTC-100 cable to your Canon D Terminal cable (&H# CADTC1000) but I need a gender changer because both cables have the same plug on the end. This plug is an mini centronics MDR 14 pin. Do you have a gender changer for it?'

Reply to
tg

The 36 pin in this series is IEEE 1284C, or "Mini Centronics". That family of connectors is availible in 20 to 68 contact.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida