Panasonic TV

When I try to turn on from standby the only response from the set is that the standby light goes off, followed by a bird-like cheeping sound which lasts 6 seconds when the set goes back to standby.

Any ideas?

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo

If you've never fixed a TV, get it to someone who can.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Meat Plow:

I ran a fairly large service operation back in the '60's and I've just got to love some of your comments.

Right on!

BH

Reply to
BH

I did major manufacturer warranty consumer electronics in the 80's. At one point I worked 9-5 then 6-9 part time. When someone posts a message in a repair group describing symptoms but not giving any background in what they know I have to assume they know nothing and give them an honest and appropriate answer given what's currently known. I could have told the OP to check the smps for high esr caps and a host of other things but usually someone else chimes in with that stuff. Plus, I'm out of the loop on many newer smps designs having more experience with the old RCA scr output sets, tube sets, and more simple portables. I did however fix my

52" Panasonic set when it blew the STK devices in the convergence. That was my first and a wonderful experience here in sci.electronics.repair when I posted a couple messages seeking help and got it.
Reply to
Meat Plow

Bird-like cheeping was the OP's diagnostics.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I was hoping to avoid hauling the brute to the engineer by dint of one of you boffins' declaration that the set was beyond fixing (via its Springwatch-esque symptoms}.

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo

Thanks AJ. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue about electronics repair; I was just wondering if it was worth taking to the engineer which I will do tomorrow based on your recommendation.

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo

You'll have to give the set out for this one. It is impossible to guess at this type of problems without troubleshooting the set. Most of the failures are in the scan amplifiers and the power supply.

--

Jerry G. ======

Any ideas?

Gummo

Reply to
Jerry G.

Thanks Jerry - will do.

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo

Well you never mentioned how old it was and that would help.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Apologies - it would've made sense. It's a 1998 Panasonic TX-25MK1L.

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo

Not too old for a trip to as you put it "the engineer." Get a quote on the cost of repair before it's worked on and post it here. See if you can get details as to what's at fault. This is a set I could work on provided I had the service manual, dusted off my scope, cleaned off my best reading glasses and cleared all the crap off my bench :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Will do - thanks.

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo

I was recommended a good engineer who fixed the set for £30.

Thanks to all.

Gummo

Reply to
Gummo