What happens to old CRT monitors?

What?? Tell me more, I've not found it.

MCZ-1/05, MCZ-1/20?

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Can of worms - what every fisherman wants.
Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!
Reply to
Peter Hill

That's just ignorant fools doing it wrong. Big surprise.

Our wheelie bins have stickers on with a whole bunch of "Don't put these things in here - put them in the recycle bin or take them down your local recycler".

Our local tip has a half-container that's always fairly full of TVs and monitors, a half-container that's always fairly full of random electronics (mostly PCs and stereos), and a sort of enclosed skip affair for fluoro lamp tubes large and small. Plus a lovely greasy used engine oil thing.

It doesn't have anywhere specific for oil filters or brake fluid, as far as I know, but I've never had to recycle those.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
There are no normal people--only people you don't know very much about.
                                              -- Nancy Lebovitz, rasfw

Ours too, except it's a "recycling centre", not a tip. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

At our local tip, they simply take the CRT, sit it on a table, a guy smashes it with a big hammer enough to get to the yoke and get it off, this then goes into a barrel with all the others, presumably to recover the copper. The rest just gets pushed over the edge into the tip face with all the other useless household waste already in there.

IF there is a power/VGA cord that gets chopped and thrown in another barrel (for copper again?)

Any TV's (or other such gear) that still work and look saleable, are sent to the "recycling shop" at the tip where people can buy them for very little money. If not sold they presumably go to the guy with the hammer to be smashed for the yoke.

Reply to
KR

You must live near me. I have yet to see anyone care about anything other than the yoke on a CRT based display and a hammer is indeed the tool of choice. However, judging from the replies thus far, it seems we are the exception rather than the rule.

--
Chronos
Reply to

Our local dump is quite relaxed about accepting poisons ... I think they'd rather people handed them in for safe disposal than tipping them down the drain.

I acquired (most of) half a litre of something called "Hobby Black" (used by model railway enthusiasts to blacken over-shiny metallic parts) among the effects of my late father (no, it's not what killed him) -- this stuff seems to consist mainly of selenium dioxide in methanol, and I really /wouldn't/ like to ingest any AT ALL -- and the folk at the dump took it off to their toxic waste store with nary a murmur.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

I bet they don't even discharge the HV from the tube. One day it will bite them. Not a little nip like the lighting that caps have in them but a full on bolt from the blue. Even TV/CRT caps can kill but most do live to tell the tale, very few can tell about the HV.

Or nip the end off the tube to allow air in at a controlled rate. OK breaking the electron gun end is moderately safe until they hit the one that implodes.

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Can of worms - what every fisherman wants.
Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!
Reply to
Peter Hill

There was no attempt to discharge the EHT that I saw. The only "protection" the guy had that I can remember was leather gloves that covered arms and wrists. I can't remember if he had safety goggles or not, but I would presume that he would have to have if working breaking glass.

Reply to
KR

There's quite a collection of videos there now.

I heard of a couple of old Pegson rammers for sale and was going to buy them, one for a friend so we could have races. Unbelievably they went for over £150 each, non-working (though only needed their magnetos rewinding), too rich for me. Wish I'd bought a few when they were £30 - £50, it's amazing what's a good investment nowadays

Reply to
Albert Ross

Our tip has a friendly and very helpful guy who decides where the different stuffs you brought need to go. Some of them he resells from his Portakabin.

Reply to
Albert Ross

How do they work? On at least one of the videos I can see what looks like a puff of exhaust smoke on each bounce, and there was one guy who looked as if he was (unsuccessfully) trying to start his by bouncing it up and down. Is the piston connected directly to the business end instead of having a crankshaft?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
Reply to

Yes - it's basically a 2-stroke engine with no crank.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Although I did find a manufacturer's website which had 4-stroke versions, which must be a real engineer's headache in comparison (like a Prius' Atkinson engine).

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
Reply to

There's some history and some cutaway drawings here

|countryGB&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=the+history+of+warsop&gs_rfai=&fp=af53484c05009a1c

third item, a pdf

I think the people who write about four stroke ones are confused, they were replaced long ago by compactors which use a small 2-stroke or

4-stroke engine to generate the bouncing via springs and reduction gearing. More usable but less entertaining - and don't jump high enough to crush stuff

It's essentially a stationary engine that moves, much like the old tractors like Field Marshalls - they had a single cylinder 4.5 litre 2 stroke diesel engine, the rammers are petrol. The switch on the handle fires a magneto for the spark. The bouncing (or with Johnsons pulling a separate lever, or with Pegsons pushing the handle up and down) clears any buildup of smoke and pulls through more petrol/air mix from the carb.

I'm surprised Fred Dibnah (May He Rest In Peace) never had one.

Reply to
Albert Ross

Wacker makes diesels too

different principle though

They and others have also reintroduced the Irishman's Motorbike

ideal for making hard disks unrecoverable

Reply to
Albert Ross

(...tears of laughter rolling down my face !) I would have loved to see that in action, a tour de force of destruction. Probably not funny if it was your car though! can't believe the overload protection failed, that is a ridiculous design flaw.

-B

That wasn't quite my reaction. I arrived near the end of the cleanup exercise. I wished I had thought of taking photos as I had my camera available. However, I was immediately volunteered to help with the cleanup, which went well into the evening and continued the next day.

It probably wasn't all that spectacular, except maybe when it went through the wooden wall. I only saw the damage. The launching of the contents was the interesting part. The place directly above the hole where the motor made its exit was the bin where the shredded paper was unloaded. It popped open, dumping the entire contents all over the parking lot. The wind did the rest.

There wasn't much damage to the car. It sorta bounced with a small ding. Most of the energy had been dissipated by the side of the shredder and the wooden wall.

We're both assuming that it had overload protection. My guess is there wasn't any. The shredder looked like a home made contraption that had never seen a safety inspection.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com