Severed CRT necks on Old Zeniths

The discussion of exploding TV's (from lightning strikes) recently came up on a forum at

I've never seen a TV explode, but I have seen a couple of old Zeniths (from the mid to late 70's) with severed CRT necks. Anyone old enough to have worked on those should remember the scenario; the HV soared way out of regulation, and the neck of the tube eventually sheared itself off. Well I decided to post that knowledge of mine in the thread, and some of the group regulars (including one experienced technician) basically think I'm making it up. I tossed those broken CRT's years ago (who keeps broken CRT's?) so I can't exactly "prove" this story. But maybe someone on here can back me up. I'm sure some of you still remember this unique problem.

Reply to
Chris F.

Yep, usually caused by safety cap failure. High voltage punched through the tube glass. Saw one that sucked the entire electron gun into the tube, leaving the yoke hanging on a piece of tape. 'spensive repair caused by a cheap part...

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

Reply to
Art

Yes it was a common problem on the FC and GC line 1975-76. The new safety capacitor came complete with a sticker saying "safety capacitor modified" that was supposed to be stuck to the set to alert future techs that this problem was fixed.

Reply to
RonKZ650

This problem cited is absolutely true... In one case of the safety capacitor failing, I remember that going anywhere near the tv set (for 4 feet or so ) you could feel the crackly charged crt field throughout your body. It must have been up to 100, 000 volts Usually other components quickly failed so that the danger was shut down.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:38:40 GMT, "Chris F." put finger to keyboard and composed:

My colleagues warned me never to remove the tuning cap on a particular Philips chassis as this would cause the HV to pinhole the CRT under the yoke.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar