What can i do with an old crt?

Hi, i have an old crt tv and, before to dispose of it, i want to use its parts for some funny hobby project...any suggestion? Thanks

Reply to
eryer

On a sunny day (Sun, 10 Jun 2012 01:39:08 -0700 (PDT)) it happened eryer wrote in :

I once made a scope with an old BW CRT. Verly low bandwidth, magnetic deflection.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just get rid of it FGS and use your time and efforts for something else that'll be of some use to you.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Depends on where you live. Check into your E-waste disposal options. Around here, GoodWill will take old TV-s for free. Recycling depots charge to take a TV off your hands. Not sure whether you can get the average recycler to take a bare CRT at all. The stuff you scavenge out of it might be worth less than it costs you to dispose of the rest.

If you can give it away, you save the gas cost to take it to recycle.

I wanted a flyback to build a HV supply. Cost of dealing with a free junker TV to get one exceeded the value of the project.

Reply to
mike

On a sunny day (Sun, 10 Jun 2012 04:03:52 -0700) it happened mike wrote in :

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ll.

In California, *if* you stick one in your trash and it's found, something like over $500 fine for dumping hazardous material [phosphor] Instead I took 5 dead monitors to the 'reclaimers' and got $5 each, not bad. They were after the glass.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Target practice.

[Just kidding. Check your local regs for electronics disposal.]
If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a thumb.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

eryer wrote in news:edcde948-e58d-4529-bf9a- snipped-for-privacy@p27g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Build an audioscope out of it? Connect a stereo audioamp to the deflection coils? For that you need a littlle circuit to stop burnin on the screen, although with an old tv that wont matter maybe.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Back when I was a stripling building radios out of old TVs, I used to put the picture tubes in plastic garbage cans and shoot them with my slingshot. Great fun, even better than Drano bombs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Use the flyback transformer to make a jacobs ladder, blow things up, generally destroy stuff, and perhaps even kill yerself. Sounds like big fun. I'm certainly gonna give it a go! ;)

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Have CRT aquariums been overdone?

Reply to
Father Haskell

You should have dropped one off a cliff. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I saw guy lose his big toe to a piece of broken glass buried in the sand. Someone should drop you off a cliff.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

How did it cut him if it was buried?

That cliff was over a rural landfill that had been used for over 100 years. I watched that '50s Monochrome Crosley CRT hit the neck on rocks at least a half dozen times. Then it landed on the faceplate, after a

300+ foot drop. A few seconds later it imploded. :)

No one but idiots you would walk in a place like that, barefoot or otherwise.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yer not the brightest bulb in the string, are you.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

That's exactly what the loser of the argument would say.

Reply to
John S

Make sure to give good tips to the disposal guys

God bless you

Reply to
halong

or donate to this room