What does this mean? Sony SDM-HS73

I've got a Sony SDM-HS73 LCD monitor and it has an intermittent problem. Sometimes it will power up and work just fine but other times you can't get any thing to display unless you unplug the vga cable and then the it will display no input. If you plug a vga cable into it at this point most of the time the picture will just go blank.

I've got the service manual for the hs74 which is similar but has DVI and VGA. I went through the SM with the HS74 and in the no raster troubleshooting it says check pin 705

Service manual for the SMD-HS74

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Sorry hit send on accident...

Continued... I went through the SM with the HS74 and in the no raster troubleshooting it says check pin 9 for 5v and when it wasn't working it didn't have 5v and when it was working it did have 5v..

In the manual it says if you don't have 5v on pin 9 it says check micom inv on/off port.. What does that mean???

SDM-HS74 Service manual

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On Sat, 6 May 2006 18:35:39 -0400, "Michael Kennedy" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I presume there is an on/off signal for the inverter which is generated by the microcontroller.

I suspect that your source may be driving the monitor beyond its sync limits. Some monitors will indicate this via the OSD, but my AOC 17" just blanks out. Experiment with a less aggressive combination of scan rates and video resolutions.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I figured it out.. Cap C207's ESR has gone high and it has become heat sensitive. Heat it up and the esr drops, let it get cold the esr goes up to about 6.5 ohms.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

hi Mike,

I'm having same problem with my SDM-HS73: the monitor suddenly blanked out. It's only 2-3 years old. Please advise if you can.

Marian

Reply to
marian

Sell it on e-bay for parts.. Mine has some kind of problem with the lcd controler and I narrowed it down to some very tiny SMD ceramic caps that I couldn't find the value of.

I'm not absolutely sure what the problem is beacuse of the size of the components and the amount of area the freeze spay covered. I found that everything worked as long as it was warm.. Very irritating to work on without any kind of schematic to tell you the values of the caps and or other smd components.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy