What do you call this type of heat sink?

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what do you call the kind of rubber/foam type heat sink you typically find attached on a IC in a small non/poorly ventilated casing (e.g. pager, cell phone)? Its typically gray in colour and feels soft and rubbery. I think some of the old Apple Powerbooks also use them to vent heat to the casing.

Anyone also knows where I can buy them?

Reply to
sdchew

thermal interface pads.

do quite a range of different types

The one called "Kool-Pads® HeatPath GTQ 2100 " looks like the same stuff I've seen inside CDROMs etc.

Reply to
Ivor Floppy

note these are not heat sinks by themselves,

they conduct the heat away to some other surface

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Hmm... actually the stuff I saw is much thicker (up to 3-5 mm thick) and in some applications, I guess they act as a heat sink as the casing is plastic and I guess there isn't any place for the heat to transfer to.

Anyone knows where I can this kind of heat sink?

Reply to
sdchew