What are the protocols used by LCD panels?

Nobody seems to sell small high-resolution LCD screens (by which I mean, say, 15" and 1600x1200) commercially without a laptop wrapped round them.

will sell me panels, intended as replacement parts for laptops that have been dropped and had the screen broken, for $350; the panel has two connectors going to it, for the inverter and for the video signal, and I get the impression that both these connectors carry some fairly standard protocol.

Has anyone got a reference as to what the protocol is - I can't find a data-sheet for a panel anywhere. Ideal part number would be an LP154WU1, but if I try googling on that part number I get infinite numbers of companies that sell replacement panels, and no datasheet.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Womack

Searched the words lcd pinout.

I always figued the connectors were too small for most to solder, so the demand wasn't there... cool though.

Interesting question.

-JB

Sorry, some of the links on that page don't work, but the LG one does.

-JB

Thanks for the data. I don't think this is a feasible project, if only because I don't know where to start building a 500V 6mA 35kHz power supply, but I'm glad that the data's out there. It looks as if mostly they use a 'standard' 41-pin connector with eighteen bits of data, two +5 lines, fifteen grounds, and four clocks. Generating the clocks sounds not impossible with an FPGA, though signal integrity will be a nightmare with FPGA development boards the shape they are.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Womack

I don't know where to start building a 500V 6mA 35kHz

Just buy an iverter board.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Why would you want to build the inverter? You can pick them up for $5 or so ready made.

Reply to
James Sweet