Are tv LCD panels interchangeable?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if LCD panels for tv's are interchangeable? I have a

26" Olevia that powers on, but the screen has been busted. I have my eye on a Panasonic 26" but would like to know if I'm fighting a losing battle.

Thanks!

Reply to
alsdomain

In general - yes. Many manufacturers sell panels to other manufacturers, and some brands may really be another brand that has been re-badged. chances are your TV may have a panel that was manufactured by a different company. The problem is that you would need the exact same panel and I don't know of any printed or on-line cross reference that will tell you the exact panel model numbers that are used in different tvs by different manufacturers. The same is true for plasma panels. Your only chance would be to open the TV with the broken panel, get an exact part number of the panel, then find a TV with an identical panel - which is nearly impossible. Usually a TV with a broken LCD or plasma panel is only good as a spare-parts donor for an identical TV which has a problem that is not directly related to the panel. Good Luck.

Reply to
Mike S

s,

of

Thanks for your reply. I want to get a *little* more detailed though. I took my TV apart to get a little more intimate with it. I think the part your talking about (at least the only part I saw with a model number which is 2-3" thick) appears to be in good shape

Is the thin panel itself proprietary? Or is there more of a standard for how to interface with the rest of the tv? As you can see from this image, it's got a tiny crack in it.

img397/2707/frontvy3.jpg and

8.jpg).

I captured this image from a video for a 46" TV I believe it was

To my untrained eye, it looks very similar. I'm just curious as to where the disconnect is between the thin lcd panel from one 26" tv to another.

Any more thoughts?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Reply to
alsdomain

s,

of

I don't know if my last message got through or not... anyway, basically I want to make sure we're on the same page. I took the tv apart and the only portion I see with a model # is the 2-3" thick bit with the flat lcd panel attached

I took the flat panel off and it's pretty dinged up as you can see

But I'm curious to know if the very flat panel is proprietary or if there is some standard. Here's what I'm looking at

I captured this from a video of a 46" tv

To me it's very similar (except for size of course). But I'm just trying to make sure the explanation above wasn't just simplified and that by breaking down the tv to the lcd panel, there is no standard and easily interchangeable part.

Thanks!

Reply to
alsdomain

Let me try one last time. I guess the links are screwing things up...

Basically I want to make sure we're on the same page. I took the tv apart and the only portion I see with a model # is the 2-3" thick bit with the flat lcd panel attached (img397.imageshack.us/img397/2707/ frontvy3.jpg).

I took the flat panel off and it's pretty dinged up as you can see (img394.imageshack.us/img394/5411/backby8.jpg).

But I'm curious to know if the very flat panel is proprietary or if there is some standard. Here's what I'm looking at (img397.imageshack.us/img397/2707/frontvy3.jpg).

I captured this from a video of a 46" tv (img394.imageshack.us/ img394/2194/insidelcdvideooo6.jpg). To me it's very similar (except for size of course). But I'm just trying to make sure the explanation above wasn't just simplified and that by breaking down the tv to the lcd panel, there is no standard and easily interchangeable part.

Thanks!

Reply to
alsdomain

s,

of

I appear to be having all sorts of trouble replying. I guess because I'm including links.

Basically I want to make sure we're on the same page. I took the tv apart and the only portion I see with a model # is the 2-3" thick bit with the flat lcd panel attached.

I took the very thin lcd panel off and am curious to know if the very flat panel is proprietary or if there is some standard.

I saw a video that took apart a 46" tv and the bottom of the panel, where the ribbon cables connect, looks very similar to my untrained eye. That is to say, the way the ribbons connect whatever the boards on the bottom and side are, are the same. What I want to know is if the boards are the same or even if every 26" has the same amount of ribbon cables connected to the bottom/side.

I guess I'm asking, can I take a thin panel, with ribbon cables attached and connect it to my preexisting "boards"?

This post would have made a lot more sense with pictures.

Thanks!

Reply to
alsdomain

The entire screen (including the back light) is replaced as a single unit. You would never replace just the LCD glass. There should be a make and model on the back of the back light. This is what you need to look for. Many of those cheaper brands use the same off brand Chinese LCD panels, but finding one with the same LCD will be a shot in the dark. A Panasonic will probably have a Japanese, or Korean LCD.

While most LCDs use a similar interface, there are lots of little differences that will make substituting virtually impossible. You'll run into problems like different mounting holes, different electrical connectors, and slight differences in the LCD data. I've even seen identical TVs with different, incompatible LCD panels. In one case, swapping main boards between two identical TVs with different LCDs resulted in the picture being upside down. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe