Replacement LCD Panels?

After spotting a Westinghouse LTV-19w3 in a pile of ruins from an apartment fire, my curiosity got the better of me and I carted it off to get a closer look. This is the first HDTV-type set I've ever had in my hands, so after cleaning off the soot and testing the power, it was amazing to see it in operation up close--even though the actual lcd screen was basically shattered.

The sound worked okay, and lights moved around in the cracked surface of the panel, so I decided to remove the glass to see about finding a replacement piece. Several stick-on contacts across the top came off easily and the old panel was soon tossed.

Is there a supply source for replacement lcd panels?

How would one reattach the contacts?

Thanks.

Reply to
K. M. Kirby

A new set costs less than a new panel.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Yes...so I've noticed.

Just doesn't seem right, do it?

Maybe after those new laser-sets go on the market, with their superior color displays, then lcd prices can go down and parts supply will become more normal.

Reply to
K. M. Kirby

Doubt it. It wasn't economic to replace the CRT in tube TV sets AFAIK.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You know what I'd do with your salvaged set? I'd buy a new unit of the exact same model number, and keep the one you found for parts.

Reply to
JW

In message , Homer J Simpson writes

Hasn't been for a while now, but I have replaced many in my time as a TV tech. Umm, last one I had replaced was in a Sony but that was a warranty job about four years ago so it's worth it to somebody.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

I did my share too, but that was back when it was not so expensive - when there were rebuilders and the like.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"K. M. Kirby" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Yes, the cost willc ome down of raw parts for manufacturers, and to retail finshed sets. Still won't help with repair parts, unless the LCD set manufacturers standardize, which they likely won't.

Reply to
Gary Tait

It's not simply the cost of the screen's manufacture that makes the replacement expensive, but the marketing decision to price the replacement part high enough so as to motivate you to buy another TV rather than fix yours.

Remember: manufacturers make money selling *new* sets. That's their "raisin debt" (c;

--
Dr. Leonard. H. McCoy
"I'm a *doctor*, Jim, not a *magician*!"