Way OT But I'll bet you know how to ...

I have a wheelbarrow. It has a pneumatic tire with a Schrader valve. It goes flat in minutes. I cannot find a better tire choice.

I have changed it out several times and I am done with that.

What is the best solution for this other than that green goop ?

Is there some other product to use that is better and very long lasting ?

Reply to
AIOE

Replace with a solid or rubberised wheel.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Is that green goop the same as the Fix a Flat that comes in a can ?

I had a ridding lawn mower that would go flat and filled the tires with the fix a flat and then mowed the yard. No more leaking down for the whole season or more.

If you do use the fix a flat, keep turning the wheel for a while.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Install an inner tube. The tire is probably leaking between the tire and the rim, probably due to rust, dirt, or both. I have two hand trucks with the same problem. They leaked air no matter what I did. So, I installed an inner tube and lived happily ever after.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I got tired of the tire being flat every time I wanted to use my wheelbarrow,

Been four years now, haven't touched it since.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

This is one of the first things I learned when I began farming. As soon as them small tires begin going flat, put an inner tube in them. Them little inner tubes are not costly. $5 to $10. You wont regret it. When I want to use my wheelbarrows, I dont want to have to f*ck with flat tires each and every time. If you're careful you can install the inner tubes yourself. It dotn take much effort to remove them small tires with some screwdrivers. Just be sure you dont pinch or puncture the tube when installing it. Unless you go over a nail, or the tire gets weathered so bad it ruptures, the tube will last forever.

Quality wheelbarrows usually have inner tubes already installed, but the cheaper ones dont.

TIP: A little talcum powder rubbed on the tube makes it go together easier. (Or corn starch, which is mostly what talcum powder is).

And do not over pressure them. Read the directions on the tube for proper pressure.

Reply to
oldschool

WRONG. Talcum powder is made of the mineral talc. Magnesium, silicon, and oxygen.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Yep, solid rubber tire.. Put one on my barrow almost 10 years ago with no problems. Doesn't ride as well but the wife never complains..

Reply to
John-Del

Unless it is some kind of heavy duty wheelbarrow, you can get a whole new one with flat free tires for about the same price or a few dollars more.

While not very big, I bought a Worx wheelbarrow thing last year. Works very well for me. Did not get it off their sight, but from a place on ebay that was a lot less. It came with the flat free tires.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you start seeing tumor-like bulges or bubbles on the tire, it might be because talcum powder is suspected of being a carcinogen: In any case, don't breath the dust.

The pressure limit is printed on the tire, not the tube.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I didnt know that. I know at the local bar they have corn starch for putting on your hands to play pool. They used to have baby powder (talcum) and I guess a few of the women said it's dangerous so they replaced it with corn starch and said it's the same thing. I suppose they mean it works the same. For a tire, I am sure either would work. It just gives a slipperyness to allow the tube to slide into place when it's being installed and aired up for the first time. The local tire shop does that on all inner tubes.

Reply to
oldschool

they have inflanting foam you can use to turn a tire into a foam filled unit. You can get different grades and it needs to sit for a few hours with the wheel hanging.

After that, you can run over nails, glass, even cut the tire and it'll still keep its form.

I believe you can pick the stuff up at a bike shop and maybe even WalFarts

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yeah, you can buy a new wheel. Tire sizes, wheel rims, and inner tubes, are a logistical nightmare (too many different size/shape options). But, Harbor Freight (and maybe other suppliers) can sell you a whole wheel at an appealing price.

My car had a flat a few years back, and couldn't find a replacement tire. Not anywhere. Only Michelin ever made that size, and they'd discontinued it. So, four new rims and tires were the only way to retire the subsize spare back to the trunk.

Reply to
whit3rd

To me that seems unlikely. There are always tire size choices, a little wider or narrower, around your original tire size that can be used on the very same rims. I think your tire salesman saw an opportunity to sell you wheels.

I've been thru this on a few vehicles and never been totally locked out of choices. If I had insisted on only the exact original size, then sure. But I always found a "like" size that went right on, without even affecting my speedo reading.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

I remember the first Fox body Mustangs had a custom sized tire and rim, and they were eventually discontinued by Michelin. IIRC, the rims had to be swapped out to standard GT rims.

Ah, here it is:

John-Del

The car is an '83 Tbird, TRX tires, still have the old alloy rims in the garage;. Replaced with rims and tires, used, .from a later model.

Reply to
whit3rd

wht3rd:

As long as repl. rims preserve, as near as possible, the OEM Offset, you should be good to go :)

Reply to
thekmanrocks