Quartz Clock problem.

I have a very decorative antique reproduction clock holder which I really like. The clock itself is an Analog Quartz clock that runs on one AAA battery. Clocks is not something I have really worked on.

This one is goofy. The decorative frame holder is mounted on the wall, and the clock itself snaps into it, with 3 spring clips to keep it in the frame. Everytime I put the clock in the frame, it runs for a half hour or less, and stops. I did all the usual stuff, replaced the battery, cleaned the contacts for the battery, and made sure it was securely touching the contacts.

I set the time and laid the clock on a table. That was 2 weeks ago. It's kept time perfectly. The other day I put it back in the frame, and a half hour later it stopped. I did this a few more times. Yesterday I replaced the battery a second time (from a fresh pack), and put the clock back in the frame. Again, in about a half hour it stopped.

Three hours ago, I removed it again. This time I set it on a table, standing in edge (like it would be in the frame), and put two books against it to keep it standing. It's been running fine and keeping time ever since. WHAT THE FUCK?????

On the table, it's in exactly the same position it is inside that frame. Those clips that hold it into the frame are part of the clock's housing and should have no effect on the clock's mechanism.

But I did notice on thing. On the rear of the clock, is the knob to set the time. That knob sticks out about 1/16 inch past the rear of the clock. When the clock is pressed into thge frame, that knob appears to touch the back of the frame. While I only thought that knob was to set the time, is it possible that it rotates when the clock is running, and is jamming up from being held tight against the frame? I surely can not see any other reason it refuses to keep running when it's in the frame...

If this is the case, I wonder how it worked all the years before I bought it. Or could that explain why I found it at a second hand store?

If I dont push it into the frame tightly, the clips are not fully holding it, and it could fall out of the frame and break when it hits the floor. However, if I can prove this is the problem, I suppose I can take my Dermyl tool with a small grinding wheel tip, and hollow out the backing on that frame, where that knob sits. If that dont do it, I can only suspect someone from another planet is trying to drive me to drink. Come to think of it, I think it's time for a beer.... Later.

Reply to
oldschool

Does the knob pull off (to give more clearance)?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Did you check the battery voltage after the clock failed? WHAT THE FUCK????? Take your Dermyl tool and grind away. Clocks is something even you might be able to figure out with a little basic troubleshooting. I suspect the Chinese are getting back at you.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

The problem is obvious; it's haunted. Get it exorcised or buy a new one.

Reply to
John-Del

It does come off, and it would allow a little more clearance, but the shaft still sticks up slightly. I know if I leave it off. I'll never find it again too. I guess Im just gonna make an indent in the frame where the knob goes, using my Dremyl tool. It wont be seen anyhow.

Reply to
oldschool

or is the problem electrical?

is there some metal short that drains the battery?

makolber